Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
92 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 92

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 66 67 68 (69) 70 71 72 73 »

Re: Henry's 37 Limousine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
and the other side of the spectrum. blugh....

http://www.restomyride.com/hotter-coolant-temperatures-evans/

Posted on: 2017/8/4 14:28
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"everyone here knows I do some really questionable things and sometimes even some batshit crazy ones."

Hank,

That's why we love ya!

Posted on: 2017/8/4 16:51
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Thanks Mal you're the best!!

Btw....DO NOT USE EVANS COOLANT!!!!!!!

drained the block and flushed. Added pure water. Car is sitting at 170 with no electric fan idleing in my 90 degree garage! And the cylinder head is 120 degrees cooler!

Screw Evans!!

Posted on: 2017/8/4 21:12
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Interesting. Makes you wonder how the Evans got a reputation of being a go to product and better than antifreeze. Straight water has always been rated a better coolant than either but the downside is there is no rust or corrosion inhibitors. I know straight water does cause issues because I left some in the 47 for about a year and as you can see in the photo, managed to get quite a bit of rust started. That was a rebuilt engine which hadn't had water in it for years and was nice and clean before the water was left in. Another poster convinced me to go with a product called NoRosion. Must say the water didn't appear to be rusty when I looked the other day after almost another year.

NoRosion isn't recommended for aluminum radiators but a companion product called HyperKuhl which performs the same anti rust and corrosion function is.https://norosion.com/hyperkuhlcoolant.htm

It might be worthwhile to try the straight water with an inhibitor until it does get time for antifreeze and see how the car performs once you start driving it. IIRC, the 47 took about a bottle for the amount of water in the car.

Attach file:

jpg  (60.14 KB)
209_598530d2d51ea.jpg 753X872 px

Posted on: 2017/8/4 21:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Thanks Howard, I did look up norosion. Can't get it in the store, but I did get the stuff I use all the time in my other cars. Water wetter. Never had problems with water wetter and rust etc.

I did straight water this time and boy what a HUGE difference! Took it out tonight. Ran 185 on the highway. 190 in city and of course got hotter when I turned it off at the auto store. 210ish. Started the car and it came right back down again.

Screw you Evans. Pretty damn sure that's what cracked my first head.

Posted on: 2017/8/4 22:17
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
so, I work and work and work on this car and its one thing after another.

I drive it to work on Friday after getting it running with the new head and the driver's door latch spring breaks. got that fixed with a spare I had.

more drama.....passenger's front window....cracks when closing the door on date night with the wife on Saturday. nevermind its been closed a million times before. the window was down at the time. it is still intact, thankfully.

to the point. anyone that's been there done that with the glass on a 37, please do tell. I'm sure I can get some flat glass cut, but I have no idea where to start...I doubt safelite is the go to place. and i'm not even sure how to take the glass from the channel and install the new. i'm sure new rubber will be needed, etc.

just looking for experienced individuals to share.

pictures are sitting in valet in front of the Bass Performance Hall in downtown Fort Worth. it was the mecha of attention that night...it was fun to watch from inside the restaurant. my favorite question was....does it have a 4 barrel? and my favorite thing yelled out....hey look at that Cadillac, to which I yelled back ITS A PACKARD...and then muttered...don't insult my car. LOL!

in stop and go traffic on a hot night the temp gauge stayed at 185-190. can't complain about that.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.18 KB)
491_5988822774a78.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (29.91 KB)
491_5988822c586bb.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2017/8/7 10:09
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Wareham
See User information
When I got my '49, it had a cracked passenger side window. Someone tipped me off that a local glass company, a place that does stuff like shower enclosures, would also do auto glass. I took the intact glass out and took it to them and they cut the new clear flat safety glass window for about $45. They said they could do it in any shade of tint and also tempered if I desired at a higher cost. Also had them cut new clear windshield halves both for less than $100 including tax. You just have to ask around to see who might be able do it for you.

Posted on: 2017/8/7 10:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
found a couple of places near me that do stuff like mirrors and bathroom glass, etc. I'll give them a call.

Posted on: 2017/8/7 11:29
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Henry, are there no auto glass shops near you? Though there aren't as many around as there once were, they are still in the larger towns and smaller cities and they all can cut laminate safety glass to your pattern and install in your channel if you wish. Just check your local yellow pages for auto glass.

Posted on: 2017/8/7 12:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good morning all...In many cities, there is an auto glass shop that is used for glass replacements by the used car folks at the major dealerships; they also do glass for all of the hot rods and classic cars in the given city. In Arizona it is Bell Glass on 23rd avenue. They replaced two cracked windows in Miss Prudence for me. It took only an hour or so and I could not tell that the upholstery had been removed and re-installed. Ernie

Posted on: 2017/8/7 12:04
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 66 67 68 (69) 70 71 72 73 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved