Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 103

bertus cardinaal, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Hydraulic stop light switch
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
I changed the order of the last few pics and added a couple for more clarity.

Everything is connected to everything else, as they say. I don't have Ultramatic, so I don't know if there is a mate for that wire to plug into.

It'll take a methodical approach. I hope the folks on the forum can get something out of this info. It took quite a while to get all the pics together. Happy motoring to you!

Guy

Posted on: 2019/6/30 19:44
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you don't have Ultra then obviously not the light. Packard started using an electric windshield washer in 54 and may have installed the wiper control with the built in switch for that option as a standard item. If the option was not installed the wire is just tucked out of the way up into the shroud. If a dealer later installed the washer they could change the button in the knob to one that is moveable to work the switch and connect the wire.

Posted on: 2019/6/30 20:04
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Thanks Howard. The wiring diagrams are good in the manual. They showed two splices in the trunk. I checked the wiring and it seemed sound. Of course, since the direction signals and the driving lamps work, it shouldn't be a problem back there.

However, the manual also advises to LOOK FOR SHORTS under the dash. Lo and behold, I found one!

The wire is a cloth-covered one that seems to go to the back of the instrument panel. It may even go to the Oil Light, that quit working. I just happened to have the key on and saw a spark... I had notices the wear-through on the insulation. But, since I saw a spark, there must be current there, so it apparently didn't blow a fuse. I found where it was rubbing on a cable.

Pics to follow. No meter. Just following the wires, learning a lot. But no brake lights yet! No brake lights, no car.

Attach file:

jpg  (163.91 KB)
917_5d1e72645bc91.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (149.49 KB)
917_5d1e7274d2c3c.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2019/7/4 16:41
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved