Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Car Stalls When Put in Gear
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Andy Mylin
See User information
Hi Guys,

I have a 54 Pacific, as of late Ive had the engine out refreshed it and put it back in. As the Car went back together I had the carb rebuilt. Once it was running we noticed the brakes were soft and the master brake cylinder wasnt doing it's job. Upon replacing it I can't put the car into gear with the engine idling without it stalling.

Also the generator light has been on, (this has been ongoing and did not begin with the new master cylinder) The generator is charging the battery some but Im not convinced it's getting the job done 100%. I have not yet had the generator tested.

Any thoughts on what changed? Im a novice Packard mechanic.

Thanks
Andy

Posted on: 2016/3/28 19:10
 Top  Print 

Re: Car Stalls When Put in Gear
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Automatic or Standard transmission?

Posted on: 2016/3/28 21:07
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Andy Mylin
See User information
Automatic transmission

Posted on: 2016/3/29 6:52
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Unusual problem, there is no direct link between engaging the transmission and either the fuel delivery or ignition system. Perhaps too low an idle speed or a large vacuum leak? You didn't say but I'm assuming the car has power brakes - check the vacuum lines to the brake booster and vacuum reserve tank for good leak-free connections. There are other possible sources for a vacuum leak and they should be sought out and checked but I doubt any of them have the potential to stall the car when the transmission is engaged.

There are several ways to analyze your charging system. A relatively easy one only requires a voltmeter attached to the battery. Read the voltage at rest (engine off), should be about 6.4 volts. Start the car, leave it idle and put on the headlights, read the voltage; then increase the engine speed and the voltage should increase to perhaps 7.3 - 7.4 volts. If it does not increase then the charging system is not functioning. Now just briefly connect a wire from the field terminal (F) on the generator or regulator to ground and repeat the test - if the voltage now does increase the generator is functioning and the problem is with the generator regulator (replacements readily available). If the voltage does not increase, the problem is with the generator itself. Do NOT leave the jumper wire between F and ground connected for any longer than needed to conduct the test!

Posted on: 2016/3/29 8:16
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The fact that the stalling problem started after he replaced or fixed the master cylinder is telling.

Being a Pacific, which was a senior model, it would have Power Brakes standard. So perhaps a vacuum line didn't get hooked back up correctly or one of the lines now has a leak.

Posted on: 2016/3/29 9:55
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Actually Kev, though you would think they we would be on a high-end car, power brakes were not standard on the Pacific (according to the Salesman's Data Book), though probably 99% of them had them.

Posted on: 2016/3/29 10:13
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Dave, good to know. I've never seen a '54 Senior car without them. So just figured they were standard!

Posted on: 2016/3/29 10:18
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ultramatic was standard, however. The Easamatic probably cost Packard about $20, seems a bit frugal of them not to be included.

Posted on: 2016/3/29 10:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Or maybe a stuck Ultramatic governor?

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2016/3/29 10:38
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
I'm keying in on the discussion points of;
? Carburetor rebuilt
? Generator light ON
? Stalls when put in gear
If the generator light goes out at a high idle (head lights off), I would suspect a low idle speed and begin with the throttle stop and idle mixture adjustments, and for completeness the ignition timing. May we assume a Carter WCFB, and Delco electrical equipment?

Posted on: 2016/3/29 10:43
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved