Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 142

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1949 Packard Weatherstrip and Wiring Harness
Home away from home
Home away from home

J.R. Buzzell
See User information
I'm almost certain I've posted a thread on this subject before, but I just can't find it anywhere, so perhaps I didn't. But anyway, my car is getting painted at last and now I am in need of a full weatherstrip kit and wiring harness for the car. It's a Deluxe 8 Sedan. I wanted to know where others got their kits from and what was most satisfying, easy to work with, and overall best kits on the market. At one time, I had found a couple sources for these two things, but I've lost them thanks to technology crashes. Thank you for your help!

Posted on: 2016/4/2 16:15
J.R. Buzzell

1949 23rd Series Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=867
 Top  Print 

Re: 1949 Packard Weatherstrip and Wiring Harness
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon...You can start with Kantar, Max Merritt and Steel Rubber. Others will have additional information. These are three good companies. Ernie

Posted on: 2016/4/2 19:17
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
JrBuzz,
I have a '49 standard 8, 23 series. I did a lot of searching, even Ebay, ended up buying my wiring harness from Harnesses Unlimited. I'm almost finished with it and am very pleased with the way its turned out. It would have been easier if I didn't run into other problems that were not really related to the wiring.

Be advised that he does not have these harnesses sitting on the shelf. He makes each one to order. Tell them about ALLthe interior and trunk lighting or electrical. He does send along additional wire in case you forgot to tell him about a light like I did. Easy enough though to figure out. Take lots of photos!

Also, there are wires that run along the roof to the truck(taillights, license plate light and gas tank sending unit) so you will need to drop the headliner.

All in all, there harness was pretty straight forward and easy to install. Great instructions and he will answer the phone when you call.

http://www.harnessesunlimited.com/

All the best.

Posted on: 2016/4/2 22:10
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
From a fit and best match for OEM viewpoint the best source for weatherstrip kits is Steele Rubber. Kanter and perhaps Max also offer the Steele product and likely at a modest price discount from the Steele prices.

Posted on: 2016/4/3 8:24
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jeff P-MN
See User information
I used Rhode Island Wiring Service for the harness on my 2293 Station Sedan. Excellent instructions, some minor tech support from them was gladly given. Everything fit and worked perfect. I am very pleased.
As far as weatherstrip, order from whom ever gives the best discount, it all comes from Steele.

Posted on: 2016/4/12 20:18
1913 Ford Runabout
1926 Ford T Touring
1948 Chrysler NY’er Highlander
1948 Packard Station Sedan regrettably sold in 2019
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Joe D'Agostino
See User information
I also used Harnesses Unlimited. They did a great job for my 1949 model 2365, Deluxe Club Sedan.

I also took lots of pictures before removing the old harness as well as marked the screw terminals of the confusing wires with various colors of paint or nail polish so that I was sure where they were going before removing the wires.

For example, I would select a circuit (like overdrive), then engage the overdrive and measure the voltage with a volt meter to make sure that the electrical path was known. Once I knew what circuits were being engaged, I painted the screw heads with the same color paint.

You can also do this with an ohmmeter by removing the wire temporarily from the terminal and ohming out each end of the suspected wire. (Of course, this assumes that you have no shorted wires). Then paint the screw heads for that circuit with the same color.

Once I had everything known, I was more comfortable removing the old harness.

Nail polish was easy to remove after the project was done.

If you have a teenage daughter or niece, you will have a good home for all the crazy colors of nail polish that will be leftover after this project.

Posted on: 2016/4/19 20:51
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
My old harness was completely brittle and rat chewed. So when I replace my harness,I cut the wiring about an inch from each terminal, leaving that one inch of wire and it's terminal connected to where it was. So when the new harness went back in, I knew where every wire went by matching up the colors. This is especially helpful when the car will be apart for awhile.

Posted on: 2016/4/20 9:36
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Michiana Packard carries the complete Steele line of products 10% off Steele web pricing. Stock orders ship same day.

Posted on: 2016/4/20 18:02
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
I painted and rewired my 1950 Series 23 Deluxe 8 sedan. I got the rubber (all of it including weatherstrip) from Steele. They had almost everything on the shelf. The wiring harness I got from Rhode Island. They are good.
When I removed the old harness I put a strip of masking tape around the end of each wire and marked it as I removed it. That was very helpful later when I tried to solve problems. My wiring was shorted and so it was useless to run electrical test before I took it out. I wrote down each removal step in a notebook so I could put it back the same way I removed it.
The wiring under the dash was a very difficult job for an old guy. I had to remove EVERYTHING under the dash to get at the wires. It might have been easier to pull the metal dash out of the car and have its woodgrain redone at the same time. I did get the gages restored when they were out. I also restored the heater because I had to take part of it out to do the wiring.
There are some gaskets for wires going through the firewall that were not available from Steele. If you want to paint the firewall do it with the wires out of the car.
I changed the car slightly and put in fog lights, an electric fuel pump for starting, backup light, and a kill switch. I added those extra wires later because the original harness did not have them. I should have put the extra wires in as I installed the new harness and saved some time. I made a big error and replaced the headliner before I needed to replace the wiring. I just left those overhead hidden wires in place and so far have not had problems.
The hardest item to get at is the ignition switch wires. Hook those up as early as you can, right after the main harness is passed through the firewall.
Take lots of photos of everything before you remove anything. Do not cut the harness as you remove it so you know how the new one goes back in.
I hope this helps you.

Posted on: 2016/4/26 17:21
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jeff P-MN
See User information
Fred, I removed the front seat in my '48 Station Sedan to remove old/install new wiring. This allowed this 6'2" guy to have easier access to the backside of the the dash.

Posted on: 2016/5/8 8:21
1913 Ford Runabout
1926 Ford T Touring
1948 Chrysler NY’er Highlander
1948 Packard Station Sedan regrettably sold in 2019
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved