Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 124

Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 12 »

Re: New Gas Tank Issue
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Is there an electric fuel pump connected to the tank or fuel system in any way????

Posted on: 2016/8/26 7:31
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
As a TEMPORARY DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE obtain somekind of very soft rubber, cork , preferably neoprene or some other SOFT material.

Make a flat round kind of washer tht will fit flat upon the flange that has the recess. Screw on the gas cap. and then test drive.

Posted on: 2016/8/26 7:45
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
U mite want to think about filling the indentation causing the leak.

Make or obtain somekind of a plug that can be stuck 2 or 3 inches down into the filler neck. That will keep gas fumes from exploding while soldering the indentation full of solder.

The metal will have to be PERFECTLY CLEAN, TINNED WITH TINNERS PASTE before applying the solder.

However, i think a better effort mite b to just make a gasket for the gas caap that is thick and flexible enuf to squeeze into the indention and seal.

Posted on: 2016/8/26 7:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Try this FIRST;
Obtain or make a gas cap that has a rather long tubular extension that welded to gas cap. A tubular extension that will fit down into the filler neck of the gas tank as far as possible. The extension should not need to b any longer than 3". And the tubular extension needs to have a diameter about 1/4" less than the ID of the filler neck.

Some industrial and sports and utility vehicles run such a tubular extension on the caps/ Things like motorcycles, ZTR's etc.

EASIER might be to get the manufacturer of the gas tank to tell u from what application (e.g. John Deere, Polaris, Mack truck or what ever the original use was) the filler neck was retrofittted from and then go a buy cap for that application.

Posted on: 2016/8/26 8:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
On second thot, the filler neck was probably some retrofit from an OIL tank or OIL filler tube. If the manufacturer of the tank hasn't got a clue (they probably don't) then get on eBay or Amazon and do a search on "gas cap" or "oil cap" and look for a cap that appears to have a long tubular baffle sticking out of it.

Posted on: 2016/8/26 8:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
This is the leak creating vent that some rocket scientist drilled in my tank.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.82 KB)
15023_57c056a4d472f.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2016/8/26 9:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
We have gotten our 55 Carib out of the shop and yes we find a leakage problem under the cap just as WesPac has described. We're working on a solution. Please note that our all original 52 Patrician with 25,000 miles has exactly the same leakage problem with the same amount of gas in the tank so this problem is nothing new.

To reply to several "ideas", no the filler neck is not from an oil tank or a John Deere or anything else. It was made brand new from brand new tubing specifically for this tank. For the life of me I cannot imagine how people come up with ideas like this. As to the design/specs of the "ramps" which tighten the cap, ours is a standard design used for many many many years.

We have tried a simple gasket to be permanently inserted inside the lip of the cap. Now we have to source it.

Thanks to all for their contributions

Posted on: 2016/8/26 11:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
We have gotten our 55 Carib out of the shop and yes we find a leakage problem under the cap just as WesPac has described. We're working on a solution. Please note that our all original 52 Patrician with 25,000 miles has exactly the same leakage problem with the same amount of gas in the tank so this problem is nothing new.

To reply to several "ideas", no the filler neck is not from an oil tank or a John Deere or anything else. It was made brand new from brand new tubing specifically for this tank. For the life of me I cannot imagine how people come up with ideas like this. As to the design/specs of the "ramps" which tighten the cap, ours is a standard design used for many many many years.

We have tried a simple gasket to be permanently inserted inside the lip of the cap. Now we have to source it.

Thanks to all for their contributions

Posted on: 2016/8/26 11:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
To reply to several "ideas", no the filler neck is not from an oil tank or a John Deere or anything else. It was made brand new from brand new tubing specifically for this tank. For the life of me I cannot imagine how people come up with ideas like this.

Probably because they find it impossible to believe that it could have been designed that way on purpose.

Posted on: 2016/8/26 11:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Don,

Look back in this topic and you will see a photo of the top of the neck of our 25,000 mile 52 Patrician which has the original tank. It also has a notch. So why do people speculate it's an oil tank tube....maybe from a P-51 Merlin engine or a 2M2500 2500 cubic inch PT boat or maybe a lunar rover or.....

To speculate that we use incorrect surplus or used parts to build a new gas tank cats negative aspersions on our reputation, maybe I should speculate that some forum members will pay us in stolen or counterfeit funds.

There is a very simple way for any forum member to find out for sure if we use surplus/incorrect.used parts in our gas tanks. It's called "Just ask us" which I have posted many times.

If one wants to sow mistrust, doubt, erroneous ideas etc, then by all means post away. You will be known by your words.

Posted on: 2016/8/26 14:16
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 12 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved