Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 158

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 12 »

Re: New Gas Tank Issue
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I did not say or even imply that I thought you had done what was suggested. I said only that the dumb "engineering" of the notch is probably where people got that idea. It reminds me of the hole drilled in the vent tube that someone else just posted.

Posted on: 2016/8/26 14:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
From post #70 above:
" 52 Patrician which has the original tank. It
also has a notch."

Does anyone else have ANY make model or year of car that has such a notch??? Any 52 Patrician owners (with OEM tank) out there that can check their tank for a notch????

What other years and models of Packard use such a notch from the factory???? Only 52 Pats????

Posted on: 2016/8/26 14:46
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Don,

I know quite well you didn't say that stuff but I do also know quite well that another poster did, JUst because my post followed yours does not mean I was talking about you.

The same "dumb" engineering of the notch in our tanks was the same "dumb" engineering that the folks at E. Grand Boulevard used in 1952 when our factory show car was built, it was only copied.

"Dumb" engineering was used in building 40-54 hydraulic valve lifters which was state of the art, as was cork on the high range clutch plates . As materials and technology advanced we have incorporated it in our reproductions.

Cave men who invented the wheel using stone were not dumb, they just hadn't met Harvey Firestone

Posted on: 2016/8/26 14:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
None of my 1951 to 1956 Packards have it and neither do any of the other tanks from those years of Packard I have laying around INCLUDING one from a 1952 Patrician.

Posted on: 2016/8/26 14:52
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
My 56 also has no notch -- just a smooth surface where one would think the cap gasket would provide a decent seal.

Posted on: 2016/8/26 14:56
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
One other thing to consider on this leaking problem:

How far does the filler neck extend INTO the INSIDE of the tank???

Does it extend ABOUT 1/2 way thru the inside of the tank or just welded to the side of the tank????

IIRC i posted pics of a 56 Exec tank that i had cut open. That was about 10 years ago. I went out and looked for the tank but can not find it.

IIRC the OEM tank filler neck extends INTO the INSIDE of the tank BEYOND the wall of the tank.

I jusst can't remeber for sure.

The filler neck extending thru the internal width of the tank might very well eleminate any gas slosshing in the tank.

Maaybe the REpop tanks do NOT have the extended filler neck. Maybe the OEM does not either but i'm trying to recall from memmorry that the oem does haave the extended filler neck into the tank.

Posted on: 2016/8/26 15:23
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ok. Bad Girl just yelled at me that she found a gas tank. It's the OEM Exec tank NOT cut in half. But when i look thru a big rust hole in the end of thetank i can see that the filler neck extends well INTO THE INTERIOR of the tank at least 14". NOT quite too the CL of the tank.

Posted on: 2016/8/26 15:31
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is an inside 51-6 tank photo Ross posted some years back.

Attach file:

jpg  (177.06 KB)
209_57c0a77e2a64d.jpg 1408X1056 px

Posted on: 2016/8/26 15:33
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
My 56 Clipper DeLuxe has the notch. I don't know if the tank has been replaced or not though. The car was restored in the early 90ties and exported to Norway in late 2008.

Posted on: 2016/8/26 16:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
As no reproduction gas tanks were made before ours, the 56 Exec with the notch had to be a Packard produced tank. It can therefore be concluded that Packard made tanks both with and without the notch. Now, is that settled??

A guess that repro tanks were made with a short tube in the tank again needlessly "fuels" doubt and speculation. It would be much better for all to ask us directly (by PM??) what story is. On Monday I will look at our cutaway tank and report back.

Posted on: 2016/8/26 17:44
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 12 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved