Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 148

DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 »

Re: New Gas Tank Issue
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Based on the pic of the cut-away tank in post # 78 above it most likely that way for the SUPPORT bracket inside of the tank to help support the filler neck.

However, it it might aid in preventing gas from running up the tube BUT i would expect to see a baffle in the tank too.

So the extended part of the filler neck is probably not an issue for the LEAK problem. Only to add strength to supporting the filler neck.

Posted on: 2016/8/26 17:51
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
I decided to check my '56 Patrician and I can confirm that there's no notch in the filler neck. Cheers, John

Posted on: 2016/8/29 3:26
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I am kind of curious why Packard had both vented and non vented tanks and if that was during the entire 51-6 period or just in the 56 V8s.

Doubt it was due to different suppliers since they could have spec'd one or the other so maybe one turned out to be a few cents less when the tanks were reordered. Maybe vented caps were hard to come by in some areas or was it something needed in certain areas. Perhaps they could have been thinking ahead about revising the fuel delivery because of increasing smog rules or maybe doing something with the experimental fuel injection program.

Another of those probably never to be known mysteries.

Posted on: 2016/8/29 9:17
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
There were no smog or pollution regulations in those days and all Packards were manufactured in Detroit so a "regional" shorted of vented caps could not have been an issue. There were plenty of manufacturers of caps who would make any type in any quantity required. The parts book indicates only one part number so there is only one type, perhaps with the exception of commercial cars.

If you have been keeping up with this post you will see a photo of our ALL ORIGINAL 1952 Patrician gas filler with a notch. Thus the notch/no notch is not limited to 1956.

Posted on: 2016/8/29 11:06
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have been following and I don't believe anyone else has posted a photo showing a notch on their original tank. Rocky mentioned having a notch but didn't say if his was the same as the 52 or the repro. The photo of the notch on the 52 appears different than the repro notch. It is higher which is no big deal but appears to be much shallower so with the gasket pressing on it maybe a very small opening. It is blurry so hard to tell but looks like it narrows considerably at the inside edge. The repro notch is quite pronounced. Mine has no notch and the unknown year tank Ross cut apart appears to have none either.

One thing I cannot wrap my head around is why on VesPacs photo the rim looks so different than on other tanks including the 52. It must be optical illusion due to shading or is there something different in his rim construction. Sure would like to see a photo at a different angle. On his straight on photo it almost looks like the cut out portion wraps over the top rather than the bottom. I know that cannot be or there would be a huge hole but it sure looks different in the photo than my tank, the one Ross cut apart and the 52.

Attach file:

jpg  (95.51 KB)
209_57c468a60a0bf.jpg 1217X1067 px

Posted on: 2016/8/29 11:54
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
As promised, I inspected our cutaway sample of our reproduction 51-56 tank. Even though I already knew the answer I checked it this morning as I wanted to be 100% sure of what I said. The inlet is secured to the bottom of the tank with a welded bracket, exactly like original.

Those who "guess" or speculate about the construction do a disservice to all other forum members, just sowing unsurety and doubt about our professionalism and the quality of our products. If you KNOW something is wrong , by all means alert the public, if you THINK something is wrong then write or call us and we will investigate and report back.

Posted on: 2016/8/29 11:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
THose that have the tank with a "notch" need to look close a the FULL LENGTH of the filler tube. All the way from the top of the filler tube down to the bottom of the tube near the tank.

On my 56 OEM tank the filler tube is ONE CONTINUOUS TUBE. i.e. there is no evidence that there is any SEAM of any type between the top of the tube and the bottom of the tube. i.e. that the filler tube is made from ONE piece of tubing and bent to form.

If the fille tube that has the notch has a SEAM (a radial seam) as if it were made of 2 DIFFERENT tubes welded to gether in some way then that would indicate that the top part of the tube, the part that has the notch, is probably some retro fitted part from some other application thatwould require a different cap. Probably a caap with a baffle tubbe attached to it as i have outlined a few posts above.

Someone ook at their filler tube with the notch to see if it appears to havee been maade from TWO different tubes welded together.

Posted on: 2016/8/29 12:28
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Our original '52 tank has a seamless fill tube and a notch and no a
Sherman tank or earthmover part was not put on with bubble gum .

Posted on: 2016/8/29 13:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ok. But what about the REproduction tank??? Is the filler tube with no seam like the OEM tank????

Posted on: 2016/8/29 14:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Yes, every one of the Packard tanks we have had made have seamless filler tubes, just like the originals.

Posted on: 2016/8/29 15:05
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved