Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
93 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 92

acolds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Front turn signal light sockets
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
I'm going through my spare grille parts and the front turn signal light bulb sockets are toast. Does anyone have a lead on a replacement part? The sockets crimp into the housing.

Attach file:

jpg  (48.67 KB)
34001_5711a6167d8e0.jpg 612X816 px

jpg  (63.73 KB)
34001_5711a6214dd08.jpg 612X816 px

Posted on: 2016/4/15 21:40
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print 

Re: Front turn signal light sockets
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Restoration Supply Co. have a range of light, sockets there should be on that is adaptable to yours, see page 8 of the online catalog
http://www.restorationstuff.com/pdf/RestorationSupplyCompany.pdf

Posted on: 2016/4/15 21:48
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
What is the hole diameter?

If Restoration Supply doesn't have anything then RI Wiring has dual contact sockets that will fit a 3/4 hole. If the hole is anywhere close or could be made so, I am wondering if the crimped socket could be removed and a regular socket be installed in its place. Can't quite tell from the photo exactly how the RI socket holds. It almost looks like the ears on the shell could be bent over rather than push in. It may be a permanent mount type socket similar to a crimp.

Check out RI Wiringshttp://www.riwire.com supplies page and look at the listings under instrument light sockets.

Another possibility might be Macs Ford or Mercury parts. They have an assortment of sockets but most likely those would have to be adapted in some fashion too.

Posted on: 2016/4/15 22:05
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Thanks guys, I'll measure things tomorrow and then I can look for options. I'll let you know what I find.

Posted on: 2016/4/15 22:48
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
If you can't find crimps, try soldering. Needs good ground continuity. Since the sockets are toast, sometime the pot metal under the crimp also corrodes and it'll be loose or unable to connect, if recrimped.
You can build up pot metal with special low temp pot metal solder from Muggy Weld, but it's expensive.

Posted on: 2016/4/17 10:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
The hole is 3/4" diameter, I found some universal sockets that fit perfectly. Luckily the underlying pot metal wasn't pitted, I lightly bead blasted the area to clean it up and I might see if I can get a little solder to stick after I crimp the sockets in place, to ensure a good ground. That's a good idea, thanks.

Posted on: 2016/4/17 12:57
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Some folks with pesky ground problems on sockets, especially with the tail lights on the 21/22/23rd series, solder a short wire directly to the outside of the socket shell and then to a good ground under on the lamp attachment screws. Seems to solve the problem permanently.

Posted on: 2016/4/17 13:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
If it's not too late, make sure you use rosin core solder not acid.

Posted on: 2016/4/26 20:31
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved