Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
151 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 151

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

cracks in steering wheel
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

W. Fred Rump
See User information
I have four small cracks in the ivory paint of my 49 steering wheel. Is there some easy way of filling these before they get worse? I would hope this is a common thing and has been solved without removing the wheel.

Just trying bring my baby back to how it was.
Fred

Attach file:

jpg  (36.38 KB)
124819_571ba7772b03d.jpg 1280X854 px

Posted on: 2016/4/23 11:49
1937 Packard Super Eight Convertible, model 1502 in Blue
1948 Packard Super Eight Victoria Convertible 22nd series - Maroon, Body 2279
1949 Packard Super Eight Victoria Convertible 22nd series - green
1949 Packard Super Eight Victoria Convertible 22nd series - black
1949 Oldsmobile
1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible Coupe
1993 Bentley Brooklands Sedan
 Top  Print 

Re: cracks in steering wheel
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If it is a painted hard rubber wheel there is an excellent thread and some photos posted when KevinAZ redid his 55 wheel. Same methods would apply to yours.http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=102686#forumpost102686

If it is the deluxe wheel which was cast plastic in a translucent ivory shade I think the only solution would be a recast. Unless it is a phenomenal color match I would think anything used to fill cracks in those would probably stand out against the still decent surfaces. Complete recasts are in the $1K range today.

Posted on: 2016/4/23 12:01
Howard
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

W. Fred Rump
See User information
Oy vey! Yes it would be the deluxe plastic cast in ivory. I thought maybe a clear liquid of some kind would able to meld the cracked surfaces together. A grand is a bit much for those tiny cracks.

Posted on: 2016/4/23 13:49
1949 Oldsmobile
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
My '49 wheel is brown but the under plastic is very dark brown or black. The common method is using PC-7 epoxy putty to fill the cracks, then you sand them and paint. I started but never finished mine yet...
Looking at those cracks, they're dark inside. So either they have accumulated dirt or the under material is dark.
If I had this problem,
1. I'd take a dental pick and clean out the grooves down to clean material.
2. Clean with rubbing alcohol and dry. Alcohol will also cut epoxy for clean up but don't thin with it. It won't cure right.
3. Fill with a matching color epoxy. I'd use slow cure and tint. It's about the same shade starting off. May not even show. Even fingernail polish in the right shade would work, but you have to apply several coats to fill the space. There might be some epoxy sticks or tint kits for fixing plastics or wood that might also work.
4. Sand and buff out.

As plastic ages it shrinks due to continued polymerization and loss of volatiles/break down products. The material in the crack surface can oxidize so it won't "grow" or heal back with solvent, you have to fill it. That's why you want to dig it out first, to get a good "tooth".

Posted on: 2016/4/26 20:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
The plastic along the rim of my steering wheel has split, leaving a slight gap. I don't think this is particularly unusual. As plastic gets old and dries, it tends to contract. At points where it is stressed or fragile, it breaks apart. Luckily for me, my steering wheel is black.

Here is a link to a page about restoring steering wheels:

http://blog.ecklerschevelle.com/steering-wheel-restoration/

Good luck!

Attach file:

jpg  (23.35 KB)
5003_57211cd968c0b.jpg 620X412 px

Posted on: 2016/4/27 15:09
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

W. Fred Rump
See User information
That's a bit much for my tiny cracks.

Posted on: 2016/4/27 15:26
1949 Oldsmobile
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Thanks Howard for posting my initial link on the steering wheel repair. I hadn't read that in several years. I enjoyed the walk down memory lane.

Posted on: 2016/4/27 22:20
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Bottom line is that cracks are caused by shrinkage. Only was to fix it is to fill the crack with epoxy or a modern non-shrink body filler.
If you can tint some epoxy to match the wheel then you could get by with just filling the cracks, and it would look pretty acceptable. But the only way to make it look great is to fill, prime and paint the entire wheel.

This is my wheel that had cracks:

Attach file:

jpg  (42.34 KB)
1_5723d8e8c7ebd.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2016/4/29 16:58
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The epoxy fill methods work well on the standard plastic or hard rubber painted wheels. On the deluxe ivory or beige translucent wheels which may have still been made of Tenite in the late 40s I doubt there will be much in the way of repair that will not show. Possibly someone who is a master at color matching could mix something out of one of the modern casting plastics that would blend in but that is a question.

Posted on: 2016/4/29 17:27
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
as small as those cracks are, just call them survivor "patina" and ask more money for it...
I still think they could be fixed easily as outlined before. If it's cleaned/prepared properly, the epoxy will bound to the butyrate. Color matching is not so difficult since now the dark is what is showing up(contrast). If lightened up to equal tone but not exactly the same color, it'll be less distinguishable. Buff out and the shine will also cover it.
Of course you have to have a pigment supply. If you want 100% match -> air brush.
ps: alternates.
What I did on my Caddy, was buy one of those sew-on leather wraps to cover the whole unsightly steering wheel that was improperly repaired. They cost about $80. I got mine from "Wheelskins". Takes about an hour or so to install. Looks great in two tone, matches interior. May not cover that area but one option, some sort of wheel cover.

Posted on: 2016/5/2 10:12
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved