Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 149

DJP-37-120, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1928 window channels
Home away from home
Home away from home

rrhorton
See User information
Anyone that has restored a closed body car, what window channels did you use. I can find many that are close but not quite the cigar. Please let me know where purchased and what part number you used in your restoration.

Posted on: 2016/4/23 20:53
 Top  Print   

Re: 1928 window channels
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I bought mine from Rubber The Right Way for my 1932 901. I used their flexible run channel which i think is P/N 10-014X. It looked like the closest match that i could find. When it is installed, you can not tell that it is a flexible channel. I was able to nail it to the wood frame at the bottom of the channel. I used black serrated nails that I got from the hardware store about 15 or 16 guage. I drilled a hole through the run channel and a nail set to bury the head into the material in the channel.

I would suggest you order a sample of the channel to compare it to yours to make sure it will work for you

Posted on: 2016/4/24 21:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
I used a 1/2" square section rigid channel. The part number from from the Australian supplier is 350.050, its a
rigid channel, rubber covered, pile/felt lined.
Its an imported product so that part number may apply in US.
This worked very well in 633 & 740 sedans which would be the same as your 526. This channel was able to be shaped to the slight curve at the top of the windows.

Posted on: 2016/4/25 18:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

rrhorton
See User information
What is the name of the Australian supplier?
My channels are 1/2 inch wide and 5/8 inch tall. Were yours?

Posted on: 2016/4/25 23:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
I did not have any original remnant window channels to check so I chose 350.050 from the attached supplier see page 23.
http://www.mvrindustrial.com.au/images/stories/Spectrum_Rubber_Catalogue.pdf

Posted on: 2016/4/26 4:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I can't tell from the photo in the catalog, but does the P/N 350.050 have a shiny bead or not?

I had the original channel from my '32. It had a shiny bead, not sure if it was nickel or chrome. That is one of the reasons I select what I did and that the lining was the closest looking to the original channel's felt. I'm not sure if the '28's had channel with a shiny bead or not. I'll leave that to someone else to input on.

One thing for sure, when it comes to restoring an car that is 80 to 100 or more years old it sure isn't easy to select substitutes for items that haven't been available for decades.

Posted on: 2016/4/26 18:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Further to the source than David referenced, I think that's where Wade procured the bailey channel for his '34 from. Looking on-line I think that what was Spectrum Rubber is now MVR Industrial.

And here's a link to installation of the bailey channel on the '34.

Posted on: 2016/4/26 18:40
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved