Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 156

dallas, tabletennissport, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: C2C and 21st series sheetmetal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan Phenicie
See User information
I purchased a replacement trunk panel from C2C via ebay for one of my 21st Series Packards although it was advertised for the 22nd Series. There was a caveat concerning excessive trimming which I interpreted as a wry understatement.

1) The recesses required for the rear body bolts were mere shadows of what is required. 2) There is not enough material to form a flange with which to weld the panel to the body. 3) The floor reinforcement ribs aren't...unless you are happy with shallow grooves.

Obviously the part is poorly planned and executed. The thickness was fine.

To their credit, they accepted the return and 100% refunded my purchase. I was going to eat it but I decided if enough people return shoddy merchandise the vendor might improve the product.

Attach file:

jpg  (307.43 KB)
1936_574a04992c70a.jpg 1600X900 px

jpg  (80.31 KB)
1936_574a04de0d559.jpg 1600X900 px

jpg  (303.24 KB)
1936_574a0697f128d.jpg 1600X900 px

jpg  (88.83 KB)
1936_574a06b05ee14.jpg 1600X900 px

Posted on: 2016/5/28 15:51
Dan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
Thanks for the information. From the pictures, it looks like a resourceful guy with a bead roller and a mig welder could get closer than the C2C piece.

Posted on: 2016/5/28 21:32
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

ScottG wrote:
Thanks for the information. From the pictures, it looks like a resourceful guy with a bead roller and a mig welder could get closer than the C2C piece.

And therein lies the rub. AFAIK, C2C is the only game in town for any kind of a premade piece if you don't have the talent or equipment to make your own. None of their panels are perfect dropins so this is no exception.

As I see it without the $100 C2C piece as a starting point, choices are find a good parts car or pay big $$ to a bodyshop with someone having talent like the astronaut to make the identical piece.

Posted on: 2016/5/28 21:48
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan Phenicie
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:

excerpt> without the $100 C2C piece as a starting point, choices are find a good parts car or pay big $$ to a bodyshop with someone having talent like the astronaut to make the identical piece.

I just couldn't justify adding material on all four sides. It was just made too small to be any value to me. I wonder if a piece of pickup truck bed or van flooring might offer a better starting place. . .

Posted on: 2016/5/28 22:24
Dan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Main thing to keep in mind IMO and experience with using many of their items, what you get is a rough in pattern that needs to be finished fit. Their panels are not drop in. i.e., when I purchase a panel for front lower fender on a 55-56 you receive a flat sheet metal with close general shape. If you put it up against the car, you will find it is short and the lips are short. However, once you put it on the sand bag and pound it out (stretch) to put the correct curve bow into the panel and then hit the English wheel for further stretching an smoothing you will get a good fit. I find this true with most of their panels.

The only advantage is starting with a C2C panel is it saves you time from tracing and cutting a starter template. Most of the time anymore, I just make my own and save the cash.

Don't fret the shallow bead rollers. Their is no way they can match the ribs of a factory "stamped" piece. Bead rolling just stiffens the panel to give it strength which is does just fine although diffent then that of the factory. Their floor pans I find are pretty darn good for the money still require fitting, and does not match factory stamping but end result is a great fit and solid floor.

Posted on: 2016/5/29 7:21
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved