Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 141

BigKev, bkazmer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1949 series 22 generator problems
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DBeck
See User information
Quick question: On my generator I have two posts and a ground screw connection. One of the post has a larger diameter thread than the other What I need to know is which one is the armature and which is field. My system in not charging and going to do some trouble shooting to see where the problem lies.

Thanks for any and all help.
Dave Beck

Posted on: 2016/4/27 15:11
 Top  Print 

Re: 1949 series 22 generator problems
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The larger diameter post should be the armature. Field is the smaller. Make sure the generator ground screw connects to the regulator ground. Usual route is wire goes to headlight terminal strip mounting screw on left fender and then another wire continues on to the voltage regulator ground screw. If regulator has no separate ground screw one of the mount screws may be designated for the ground. On some models the route is direct from gen to regulator and then doubles back to terminal strip screw.

Posted on: 2016/4/27 15:21
Howard
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DBeck
See User information
Thanks so very much for the help.
Dave

Posted on: 2016/4/27 15:22
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't forget to polarize the generator.

Posted on: 2016/4/27 15:25
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Checkout this link, it might be helpful,
https://books.google.com/books?id=X-MDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA181&dq=B+Circuit+popular+mechanics&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAGoVChMI-cTqtN-TyQIVgVEmCh2F0Qf6#v=onepage&q=B%20Circuit%20popular%20mechanics&f=false
Wes

Posted on: 2016/4/29 16:26
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DBeck
See User information
Got the problem fixed to it to a shop that works on alt. generators and radiators, Just needed new brushes. Got it fixed, polarized it and excited the voltage regulator, works great. Thanks guys.
Dave

Posted on: 2016/4/29 18:05
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved