Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: What to do before I attempt to start our 1935 Eight?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
Absolutely beautiful car. Can't wait to see pics of yours. Good luck in getting her running!

Posted on: 2016/4/29 22:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hello John, I wrote and submitted this before I read your interaction thread on growing up with PACKARD and have edited it accordingly. Congratulations on starting to revive such a rare car in OZ. I have a 35 Super limo and have been involved with OZ Packards for over 50 years. You have been given some great advice. Pick of them is to drop the sump and clean the screen as you will find over half an inch of sludge in the sump. For some unknown reason , it is rare to find the data plate of Australian delivered Packards stamped. My 35 Super is a well known car in SA but the data plate is not stamped. I would suggest that your 35 is from Detroit not Canada. The RHD Senior vehicles from around 6th to 16th Series still have the actual operation of the clutch and brake same as Left hand Drive but use rods and linkages to operate from the RHS. The steering is of course from a RHD steering box and has an entirely different steering crank and linkage and front suspension set-up. The exhaust manifold is also different from RHD to LHD.

Best regards, Peter Toet

Posted on: 2016/4/30 7:34
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
John, I'm looking forward to some more pictures of yours. You don't have the side mounts which makes the car look sleeker. Down side is that you won't have a luggage rack I think.

Posted on: 2016/4/30 8:59
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JMc
See User information
Yes Peter, our plate is definitely from Detroit, and is unstamped as you predicted.

I'd love to understand its place in Packard history a bit better... 117 estimated in total according to Owen... some Canadian, some American; most LHD, this one RHD. I wonder; how did it end up sold new in Melbourne all by itself? Why don't there seem to be other coupes? Was your Su8 imported and sold by the same vendor? Curious...

Peter, your name sounds familiar from when my dad and I were members of PACA and PI for a while in the 80s; great to reconnect! I sense that I might lean heavily on your expertise in months to come, if that's okay?

Sloride75, thank you. I have attached an old snapshot from the last year that it rolled out of the shed.

John

Attach file:

jpg  (27.83 KB)
126022_5724ba97d9c3f.jpg 640X412 px

Posted on: 2016/4/30 9:02
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If sold new in Melbourne it was almost certainly imported and sold by Kellow-Falkiner on Kilda Road, Packard's long-standing agent in Melbourne. Their facility still stands. I have some sales records from Kellow-Falkiner for 1934 Model 1100s, they delivered a lot of them, but no records for other models or other years.

View this link on The Packard Club forum.

http://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2000

Packard also had agents in Perth (Faulls Limited), in Sydney (Ira L. & A. C. Berk Pty Ltd), and Adelaide (Sporting Cars Ltd.).

Posted on: 2016/4/30 9:06
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JMc
See User information
BDC, it looks embarrassingly rusty and neglected, sorry, like a barn find, although it was never lost. I don't have any really interesting pictures to share, sorry, but I'll trickle you a couple. I've got two pictures from the very last day the engine turned over. We drove it around our family property on my wedding day in 1993. You can see that it was running rough then.

Attach file:

jpg  (183.74 KB)
126022_5724be6682b39.jpg 1612X1224 px

Posted on: 2016/4/30 9:17
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JMc
See User information
And this:

Attach file:

jpg  (182.49 KB)
126022_5724c090dfd02.jpg 1632X1224 px

Posted on: 2016/4/30 9:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Interesting to see that the rumble seat steps are on the left on a RHD car, but the fill opening stayed on the left.

Posted on: 2016/4/30 9:40
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
Rumble steps on the left because kind engineers did not want you to trip and fall into passing road traffic. Plus, a curb would more often be on the left of a RHD car, minimizing the step up required.

Have you also noted the world-wide tendency that if a car has a single exhaust, it is usually on the opposite side as the fuel filler? Less chance of drips on a hot pipe. For people who drive rental cars, that little arrow on the fuel gauge that points to the side of the filler is a real bonus clue to an infrequent driver.

I don't remember when it stopped, but for many years door key locks were only placed on the curb side, presumably to lessen the risk of a person opening a door and exiting into traffic. Bicyclists have been more endangered since this practice stopped.

Posted on: 2016/4/30 11:35
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
John,

Great wedding day photos of your wife and yourself with the Coupe.

"Peter, your name sounds familiar from when my dad and I were members of PACA and PI for a while in the 80s; great to reconnect! I sense that I might lean heavily on your expertise in months to come, if that's okay?"

Hope Peter "Packard" Toet doesn't mind my writing on his behalf. Peter is PACA's Technical Officer and your efforts to bring the Coupe back to life will be enabled by Peter as he's usually only be a phone call away.

Posted on: 2016/4/30 16:49
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved