Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
98 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Gearbox oil
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

rvsls
See User information
Go point! I have only used it to top off the 37 Packard rear end so there has been little dilution. Will be doing some routine maintenance on the 37 shortly and will drain and refill with a GL5 oil. The Penrite 250 is good for trans and rear ends with yellow metal which the Cadillacs have. I see that Penrite makes a GL5 but says no yellow metal. Does anyone know if there are brass parts in the 37 120 rear ends?
Thanks for the tip,
Rod Smith, Reno NV

Posted on: 2016/5/1 22:52
 Top  Print   

Re: Gearbox oil
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just to emphasize, it's ESSENTIAL to use an EP (extreme pressure) gear oil in a hypoid rear axle. I'm a bit surprised at Pennrite's warning about yellow metals, the very first primitive EP gear oils used an additive sometimes called "SCL" for sulfo-chloro-lead and these were indeed corrosive to brass, copper, bronze, etc. but all of the EP hypoid gear oils I'm familiar with today no longer carry that warning and haven't for many years. For many years Packard recommended SAE90 in the winter and SAE 140 in the summer; I most often use Valvoline SAE 85W-140 year-round. I also have used it for decades in Packard standard transmissions and steering gear boxes and have had no problems. With that warning, I'd avoid the Pennrite product and go with a multi-viscosity EP product from one of the major gear oil makers, Mobil, Valvoline, Lubriplate, etc.

Others please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe there are any yellow metal parts in a Packard differential.

Posted on: 2016/5/2 9:08
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved