Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
87 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 85

acolds, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Vacuum wipers and modern rear main seal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
My 55 400 is going to have the Bendtsen adapter and 700Ra4 installed. It would be nice to replace the rope rear main seal with a modern one that won't drip on my driveway. Where can I get one?

A new fuel pump (55-57 T-bird)will furnish plenty of vacuum if the wiper motor is refreshed. Several folks have noted that the vacuum motors can be successfully rebuilt, but I don't know where. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bernardi

Posted on: 2016/4/29 14:28
 Top  Print   

Re: Vacuum wipers and modern rear main seal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Many of us have had the motors rebuilt by Ficken Wiper service.http://www.wiperman.com
If you are going to add the dual fuel pump am assuming you have got one of the oil pump replacements and no aux vacuum source. The aux pumps only purpose is to supplant the engine vacuum if that should drop under load and not be adequate to keep the wipers moving.

You could add the fuel pump vacuum in one of two ways. Use the fuel pump source and plumb the inlet port to the existing balance valve in place of the crankcase pump. The other way would be to duplicate the older plumbing as it was on cars before the V8s.

On the older method, metal tubing from intake manifold goes to outlet of pump and then inlet of pump connects to metal tubing going back to the motor. If the balance valve has been discontinued the washer vacuum and sweep control vacuum will have to come from that same line via tees in the short length of rubber hose just before the motor.

Posted on: 2016/4/29 14:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
HH56 -

Thank you for the wiper info. Now I need to find a modern rear main seal. I have the Bendtson adapter for the 700R4 and would like to install the seal while the car is on the lift.

Bernardi

Posted on: 2016/5/1 9:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
When you asked about this earlier did you see Jack Vines response? It would appear he has a neoprene seal kit that will work with your engine. You might send him a PM for more info.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=175335#forumpost175335

Posted on: 2016/5/1 11:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved