Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
73 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 72

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1956 Patrician push button tranny slelctor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
I probably should know this but in my early morning fog I can't think well. Anyway, I assume not all 56 Patricians came with push button tranny selectors but what determined if they did or didn't? Was it just random selection by Packard?

Posted on: 2016/4/30 6:36
 Top  Print   

Re: 1956 Patrician push button tranny slelctor
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not random expect perhaps for cars built solely on speculation for inventory and not built against a specific customer or dealer order. Pushbutton trans control was an extra-cost option ($52 IIRC) on all models except the Caribbeans where it was standard equipment.

Posted on: 2016/4/30 7:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
Both of my 56s have PB Ultramatics and it's a big hit at car shows with the stalk mounting. But the lookers have never had the thrill of releasing it from Park when parked on an incline. I have since followed advice in this forum to almost always park in Neutral, using the parking brake.

I wonder how many Packard buyers were streered towards saving the extra cost of PB by stories heard from the Service Department? My father's first automatic was a 1957 Chevrolet and my mother and I witnessed him step on the non-existent clutch pedal as he tried to shift the PowerGlide lever into second gear. The next year, when it was time to buy my mother her new car, the final convincing sales point was its left-mounted push button FlashOMatic transmission that neither lifetime manual shifting parent could damage in a Rambler.

I avoid parking on steep hills and for mr the P button stands for Prohibited. If I follow that rule life is good.

Posted on: 2016/4/30 10:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
According to stories by my cars original owners son that sticking in park on a hill in SF was what sent the car back to the dealer for good. His mother apparently did it frequently and the final straw came shen she parked in such a way the tow truck had a hard time getting in a position to hook up and pull it back. Story goes his father was so fed up he just told the tow truck driver that when he got it free to take it back to the dealer and tell them no one would be coming to pick it up.

Pushbuttons seemed to be the rage in the mid 50s. Mercury, Edsel, AMC, Chrysler, Packard and probably one or two more had something to offer. Can't remember if GM had any PB offerings so maybe they sat it out. Think Chrysler was the only one that hung with it until the mid 60s -- but then IMO, they had the best system from the gitgo.

Posted on: 2016/4/30 10:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I've driven my 56 400 since 92 and I always use "P" AND the emergency brake. My driveway, where I always let the car cool down before I put it away in the garage, is rather steep. I always use Park and the 'merg. I do make sure the 'merg is adjusted properly as I've seen folks get in their vehicle and unwittingly release the 'merg with their knee.
Maybe that's why they keep moving it - used to be on the floor next to the gearshift.

Posted on: 2016/4/30 16:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
After one incident I inactivated the "auto park" feature, and never use P. I rely on the parking brake and carry a wheel chock to use when appropriate. Could be I'd never have a reoccurance but just don't want to risk it.

As to the actuator, 100% reliability since a Mr. Push Button rebuild some years back. The trans itself is a Ross rebuild and just a splendid performer.

Posted on: 2016/4/30 16:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
I see the stories of stuck parking pawls still go on decade after decade after decade.

The pushbuttons really have nothing to do directly with this issue, but they are often blamed.

And I still see people struggling with selector-lever Ultramatics too...1955-56. Locked in Park. I've seen selector levers bent around in the shape of a "J" by someone trying to King-Kong the durned thing into submission. HINT:if your selector lever seems locked in Park, it is a very simple matter to reach under the vehicle and push upward on the linkage... which usually pops it right out of what seems to be a locked-up condition.

Packard issued remedial fixes for stuck V8 parking pawls... for both the selector lever shifter and the pushbutton gear selector. These were clearly listed in Service Bulletins.

And regarding pushbuttons-especially when the mechanisms are old, worn and tired- the smartest thing to do is NOT to shift directly out of Park into Drive... but rather get into the habit of punching (from Park) to Neutral... then Drive. The possibility of over-travel and bent contact fingers is hugely reduced. In all the years I used pushbutton Ultramatics... I never had one lock up or over-travel. But I always used this method. And I always did the factory retro-fits on my Ultramatics and linkages.

Posted on: 2016/4/30 17:35
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved