Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 106

Frogmagic, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 16 »

Re: John's 1935 1201 Coupe for Two or Four Passengers, RHD in Tasmania
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'd be far less trusting of ramps than quality jackstands that are typically rated a 2-3 tons each. Always a good idea to put one or more extra supports under the car.

Posted on: 2016/5/3 10:20
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

pepepackard
See User information
Hello John,
Pleased to hear that you are starting the restoration on the Nhill coupe as it is known in our club. Also pleased to hear that your dad is still around and involved in the restoration. I remember selling him a head gasket for the car back in the eighties.Hope you can attend the National Rally in South Australia in September.
Regards Fred Dosser (Pepe)

Posted on: 2016/5/4 5:23
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JMc
See User information
Hello Fred, what a delight to hear from you after all these years. I found the documentation from that gasket order last weekend; I actually organised it, just got dad to pay for it!

It's surprising that you and the club members can still recall the car. I'm really keen to restore the car now and the time is right, but dad and I will need a lot of help, so please keep in touch and feel very welcome to offer any advice you have.

Best regards, John

Posted on: 2016/5/4 5:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
O_D & John you're right, the original battery holder is under the rumble seat floor right where you open the golfdoor. What a goofy place especially if you've to jump start it. It won't fit under the drivers seat because of the crossmember. Learned something today.

Posted on: 2016/5/4 7:41
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JMc
See User information
BDC, I assume your battery compartment looks like ours, only cleaner? I had a quick trip to the car last night and took the attached photograph...

I'm going to have to do a substantial amount of cleaning under there; there's decades of accumulated road and farm dirt and rust and grease and spider webs. My father suggests blasting it with the pressure cleaner, but I'm worried about water penetrating areas where we don't want it. I think maybe I just need to get under and scrub hard with hot soapy water and hand scrubbing brushes; a messy prospect. Any advice on how best to get rid of the thick layer of mixed dirt, rust (and grease in parts)?

I also managed to clear enough space to get a decent view of the right profile. A couple of these panels are going to need major work. you can see the dents on the front fender, but the narrow panel under the running board is the worst on the car; it's quite badly dented. The white blemish on the door is not too serious, there's no dent there.

Hoping to get under again tomorrow evening to disconnect and drain any contents of the fuel tank and lines. I inspected those points and they are badly caked in dirt, so I need to get the tank drain and outlet areas cleaned up first and squirt them with some penetrant.

I also need to drain the sump soon. Haven't found the sump plug yet under all the caked dirt and oil under the engine; where should I look for that?

TIA for all help.

Cheers, John

Attach file:

jpg  (166.53 KB)
126022_572a9fee14c3a.jpg 1104X1402 px

jpg  (161.29 KB)
126022_572aa000e7b4b.jpg 1920X941 px

Posted on: 2016/5/4 20:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
John looking at your coupe without sidemounts I love the clean look of it!
yes, the battery holder on mine looks like that but I don't have the bottom part.

Posted on: 2016/5/4 20:54
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JMc
See User information
I guess the dual side-mounts like yours make a bolder, more voluminous design statement, but I agree, the simplicity of the rear spare provides an elegant profile. Both designs are beautiful, but different. :)

Posted on: 2016/5/4 21:50
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day John,

This old thread on the PAC Website was very recently referenced, it may come in handy.

Concerning the dirt, grime, grease, etc under your Coupe, my '41 Coupe was similarly caked with 60+ years of buildup. I spent, what seemed like months under there scraping, wire brushing, etc to remove it, then cleaning and painting. During the process I often wished I'd used steam cleaning or a pressure cleaner first up. But by the time I did this the Coupe was disabled, being in a workshop mounted on 4 heavy duty jack stands. I'd suggest, if possible, you consider going the pressure/steam cleaning route. No doubt you'll still have a lot of hard yakka still to do after that.

I "think", I know'll I'll be quickly corrected if I'm wrong, that the sump plug is about middle of the sump on the left side(non driver side in Oz).

Posted on: 2016/5/4 22:21
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JMc
See User information
That is indeed an excellent step-by-step guide, thanks Mal.

It was also suggested upon my initial request for help, by this site's Mr. Dyneto, whom I understand bears a striking resemblance to the paper's author. I have been working slowly through it, along with your advice and that of all who've contributed. This is indeed an extremely helpful on-line community; I'm glad to have found it!

Cheers, John

Posted on: 2016/5/5 0:41
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Oil pan drain plug. Left side about the midpoint front to rear, adjacent to the cover plate for the pump screen. 3/4 or 7/8 wrench size, as I recall.

Attach file:

jpg  (36.79 KB)
177_572b4d89c80c5.jpg 892X540 px

jpg  (22.24 KB)
177_572b4dada8c7a.jpg 482X517 px

Posted on: 2016/5/5 8:41
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 16 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved