Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
164 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 164

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 16 »

Re: John's 1935 1201 Coupe for Two or Four Passengers, RHD in Tasmania
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"Every job and obstacle seems to lead to another job and obstacle!"

So true, welcome to the real world of old cars!

Posted on: 2016/6/27 3:38
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JMc
See User information
Before and after clean-up pictures of the water jacket cover/distribution plate. My father had this one hand-made in the mid 80s because the original one had rusted badly. It's a bit rough but it's type 316 stainless steel; good corrosion resistance.

The mechanics who fitted this in the 80s used far too much silicon sealant. It had squeezed inside and half-obscured the inlet. I hope to reuse this plate but with a thicker gasket material and minimal sealant. Got an enormous amount of work to do before it goes on though.

J

Attach file:

jpg  (60.01 KB)
126022_577509dcc922c.jpg 475X633 px

jpg  (66.63 KB)
126022_577509ef1ac90.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (36.93 KB)
126022_57750a05bbdb4.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.18 KB)
126022_57750a1c3693b.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2016/6/30 7:14
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"after clean-up pictures of the water jacket cover/distribution plate"

Posted on: 2016/6/30 7:40
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If the mating surfaces of your water jacket cover are not dead flat and mate near-perfectly to the block surface, then perhaps the cursed silicone gasket material was the only solution at hand to the installer but it's a poor solution. The cover should fit with just a thin paper gasket and ordinary gasket shellac. Though tedious to make, a thick cork gasket would be a better solution; the best solution would be a proper-fitting jacket cover plate, either by trying to rework yours or buying a proper new one.

Posted on: 2016/6/30 9:18
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JMc
See User information
Yes thanks Mal and O_D. Your words confirm my thoughts. I will approach it initially with some thicker cork gasket material and shellac as you describe. Later I may source a replacement if budget allows. Thanks.

Posted on: 2016/6/30 21:03
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JMc
See User information
A few questions for the experienced hands today, please:

1: picture attached of my jack-stand arrangement; under the spring brackets at the front and the axle at the rear. Are we happy with this? Is there anything I should do to improve stability?

2: today I tried to remove the oil pan. I removed all the lateral nuts and washers, plus the bolts at the front and rear. Pretty sure I got them all but the pan refused to come free. Still firmly attached. Is it likely that I've missed some less obvious fasteners, or is it just held in place by years of old thickened oil and gasket vacuum? What should I look for or contemplate? Should I try to gently pry it off? If so; what is the preferred procedure?

As always, thanks for all advice,

John

Attach file:

jpg  (283.72 KB)
126022_577900364ebab.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2016/7/3 7:25
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Phillip Weeks
See User information
Hi John, Its Phil from Burnie way. I would try to lever the sump. If all the obvious bolts are removed it is most likely as you suggested - stuck tight. If you can get a screwdriver in then use a second and and follow along one behind the other. Have a box or a crate set up below the sump to catch it when it lets go, or keep a nut or 2 just on the studs to allow it to drop to the nut.
I love reading your blog and I wish I had done the same when my Packard was being restored.

Posted on: 2016/7/8 4:25
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Phillip Weeks
See User information
Hi John, Its Phil from Burnie way. I would try to lever the sump. If all the obvious bolts are removed it is most likely as you suggested - stuck tight. If you can get a screwdriver in then use a second and and follow along one behind the other. Have a box or a crate set up below the sump to catch it when it lets go, or keep a nut or 2 just on the studs to allow it to drop to the nut.
I love reading your blog and I wish I had done the same when my Packard was being restored.

Posted on: 2016/7/8 4:27
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JMc
See User information
Thanks Phil, sounds like a good plan; I'll try that when I get back from New Zealand. I'm over here with the family for a skiing holiday. Glad you're enjoying the blog; I sure couldn't do this car project without the collective guidance of this Packard village!

Hope you don't get too badly hammered by tomorrow's cold front; I believe it is going to be the coldest since 2005.

Talk soon, cheers John

Posted on: 2016/7/8 6:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

AJS
See User information
I went through the rebuild of my 35 eight last year. I have photos of the entire process. I will happily share any information you may need. Message me if you like. The advice to pull the head, valve covers, oil pan, drop rods and check everything for spec is in my opinion the best advice. If any parts are ready to let loose the damage caused can be catastrophic.
Andy

Posted on: 2016/7/18 16:24
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 16 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved