Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 112

dallas, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 »

Re: John's 1935 1201 Coupe for Two or Four Passengers, RHD in Tasmania
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JMc
See User information
Belated thanks for the above advice.

I'm still here, haven't given up, just treading water in terms of the coupe restoration. I was sure I would get it out into the sunshine last Australian summer and flush the engine to progress forward, but it didn't happen. Maybe in the coming spring months.

Checking in today to say thanks for today's random photo on the side of the page; so close to my model!

The Super Eight obviously has the extra pieces of trim on the lights, etc., and the running board lights, and it is 5" longer, but otherwise looks so similar to how I hope my Eight to eventually be.

Thanks Kevin for the picture!

Cheers from Tassie,

John

Attach file:

jpg  (70.88 KB)
126022_594c998eebbc5.jpg 1087X563 px

Posted on: 2017/6/22 23:31
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Here are the pages for your 1201 coupe from the 1935 Eight sales brochure:

Attach file:

jpg  (191.74 KB)
177_594d0a9893b17.jpg 1920X1101 px

jpg  (154.51 KB)
177_594d0ad1797d8.jpg 1920X1100 px

Posted on: 2017/6/23 7:33
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JMc
See User information
Beautiful! Thanks for posting those, Dave.

John

Posted on: 2017/6/25 0:18
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JMc
See User information
G'day all,

Back on deck after an extended leave of absence. Motivated to move forward with the restoration of the coupe.

First priority is to get the water jacket ready for re-installation. I have 6 broken bolts on the water jacket; see picture attached. Wondering if anyone has experience with helicoil inserts for this application?

I had a long and very productive phone conversation with Peter Toet in Canberra who advised this course of action. Do I just jump into the engine bay with a hand drill? Or is a greater degree of precision advised?

What size helicoils are needed?

Do people think I should do something entirely different?

As always, thanks in advance for your advice.

Cheers from Tassie,

John

Attach file:

jpeg  (75.48 KB)
126022_5af391f1a81e5.jpeg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2018/5/9 19:32
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sounds like you've already decided against trying to remove the broken bolts and preserve and re-use the existing threads?

Posted on: 2018/5/9 20:39
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JMc
See User information
No, I'm open to all suggestions. I guess I wasn't confident that I would be able to get them out; do you think I should try an Easy Out tool?

Thanks, John

Posted on: 2018/5/9 22:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Unless the threads are actually damaged, no need for helicoils. Once you get the broken bits out, you'll have a better idea if what will be needed in order to install fresh studs.

Posted on: 2018/5/10 0:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
John,
In order to drill out those broken studs you will need to centre punch each one exactly on centre and that is extremely difficult . In addition you will have your drill exactly square to the face, that is easy providing you make a simple drill jig.
You can make the drill jig using a piece of say 1/2" round with a 1/4" or 3/8" thick flat welded about square to the end. Then fit the round in a lathe, face off the flat and drill the round to the diameter of the drill you intend using. This is then clamped to the face of the block to align the drill squate to the face. The drill will be smaller than the 1/4" diameter of those broken threads. You may need to drill increasingly larger drill sizes and you can enlarge the drill jig to suit as you go. If you have drilled on centre, with a bit of luck you will get the stud out. Don't try to get it out with one of those tapered left hand thread stud extractors or you may end up with a broken stud extractor which is a whole new problem.

Before using this approach I would get a nut the size of the broken stud and weld it to the end of the stud, not easy with such small threads but it can be done. There is an excellent chance that the heat will loosen the broken stud and you will be able to unscrew it out with the nut.

On one of my cars all of those threads were in such poor condition I heli-coiled the lot.

Posted on: 2018/5/10 4:22
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JMc
See User information
Thanks Packard Don and David. You've given me plenty to think about. I really like the idea of the drilling jig. I've done some Googling and discovered there are some commercial ones available. They don't look very robust but I might get one and give it a try. Does anyone have an opinion on something like this?

http://biggatortools.blog/standard-v-drillguide-18-38/

Cheers from a saturated and stormy Tassie; any autumn leaves still on trees are flying off rapidly as we are getting hammered today.

John

Posted on: 2018/5/10 19:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
John,
That drill jig looks fine as long as it takes the required drill sizes. If the drill is smaller than the hole in the jig it will not be held square. Also you need to find a way to clamp it against the face of the block. You can improvise clamps held by bolts into the adjoining threads.
If you need to resort to Heli-coils you will need a drill jig to hold the tapping drill square.

Posted on: 2018/5/10 19:37
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved