Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
94 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 94

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Interior Door Handle Plastic Knobs
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
I'm about to change out a couple of the plastic knobs on my 41. I'm not sure how the factory originally attached them but I was thinking they were molded on during the process. I was told that replacing with new ones that most people glue on the knobs. I know that the shaft rotates on the pin. My guess would be to use an epoxy glue. Has anyone done this and had success with the knobs staying intact ? Thank you

Posted on: 2016/5/2 11:32
 Top  Print 

Re: Interior Door Handle Plastic Knobs
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Suspect the 41 attachment is similar to the 47 window knob although Yesterdays Radio did list a long stud with his repro knobs. On the 47 a short stud appears to be molded or maybe it was pressed into the knob when plastic was somewhat soft. There is a shoulder on the stud which goes next to handle and the exposed shaft end is then riveted over the handle loose enough so the knob is retained but can turn. Wear and looseness at that handle hole seems to be a typical problem.

While not directly apples to apples I installed a repro turn signal knob which has a similar knurled or roughed up shaft. Originally I was going to try and press the shaft into the knob but after a couple of ominous sounds felt the plastic was too brittle for that approach. Drilled out the knob to a larger size snug to the shaft and used epoxy instead. Only been a year but so far it seems to be holding.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.34 KB)
209_57278d30397fa.jpg 684X416 px

Posted on: 2016/5/2 12:24
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved