Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
79 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 77

JW49, Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 Packard Super Eight 1808
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Roberto Isola
See User information
Hello Folks,
Just purchased a 1940 Packard 1808, It's running hot so I will start with replacing the radiator and water pump. Anyone know what the process is in removing the sheetmetal?
Any help would be great.
Thank you Roberto

Posted on: 2016/5/4 23:58
cityvintage@hotmail.com
Purveyors of men's vintage clothing 1900-1960's
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 Packard Super Eight 1808
Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
After removing hood, lights, bumpers, etc. the two fenders and shell can be removed as one piece by a few people. One thing to be careful of, as I remember, there are four bolts connecting an arm on each side of the radiator shroud supporting each fencer. I believe these are carriage bolts and can only be put back in place if the radiator is removed. Someone may have some photos showing this process.

Posted on: 2016/5/5 1:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
The headlights and parking lights do not need to be removed in order to take the front clip off as one piece. The hood and braces need to be removed. I'm assuming the car has side mounts, so there will be a few extra bolts on each side that need to be removed. I suggest removing the front wheels as well, as they get in the way if you and your 3 friends are pulling the clip off by hand. Otherwise, if you're using some sort of a hoist, probably not necessary.

When you get down to replacing the radiator and water pump, DO NOT FORGET to pull out the water distribution tube (accessible after you remove the water pump). Hopefully it will be in good condition. Once that is out, rig together some kind of small water hose that will fit into the passageway that will also produce high pressure. Flush out the block completely.

Go to my project blog, as I've gone through this, starting at post #46.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=40

You saw my car at Hershey this year.

Posted on: 2016/5/5 7:26
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Roberto Isola
See User information
Hello West,
I appreciate the advice and will charge forward.
Thank you
Roberto

Posted on: 2016/5/5 10:15
cityvintage@hotmail.com
Purveyors of men's vintage clothing 1900-1960's
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The radiator can be removed without all that work.

Remove the hood (two person job).

Affix heavy cardboard cut to fit over the fins.

Remove the fan and water pump.

Tilt the radiator back and remove from the car.

You can use a sturdy rope over a strong beam. I used an overhead gantry crane.

While out you can rod and flush the water distribution tube as well. No real need to remove it from the motor.

Posted on: 2016/5/5 18:38
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved