Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
82 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 80

BDeB, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 25 »

Re: Kanter's 1953 Packard Limo Restoration
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That AC unit has another interesting anomaly. Henney was what I would consider to be a master of packaging so building the car with that trunk install brings up another question.

When you can take a commercial unit designed for a building walk in box running on 110v and package it so it is installed and functioning in a mid 30s combination car (ambulance/service car) as was reported in The Complete History of Henney book or take the later Packard designed B & B unit, redesign and package that in an ambulance cabinet it kind of makes you wonder why they didn't rearrange the blowers on that AC unit so the outlets point more toward the floor and the duct direction.

It would seem if the excess ducting taken up by pointing upward and then transitioning down thru a tight bend was eliminated air flow would have been improved. Wonder if there was originally some kind of cover over the unit and it was done quickly because it was out of sight out of mind or if Henney actually did that install.

Posted on: 2016/5/5 12:13
Howard
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
For sure a '52 Cowl. The shape of the windshield gives that away.

Posted on: 2016/5/5 12:27
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Actually, Kev - it's a 1951. I'm sure you meant to say '52 or earlier.

Posted on: 2016/5/5 13:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

I'm delighted to learn this last effort by Ray Dietrich will be recreated/restored! As badly deteriorated as the original body is, at least there are still plenty of solid '51-'52 Patricians to become the basis and parts sedans to donate the necessary mid-section components. I hope you will create a project blog so we can follow its progress to completion.

Steve

Posted on: 2016/5/5 17:10
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Re: Kanter's 1952 Packard Limo Restoration
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Why?

The money would better suit preserving a nice original example that may become a victim of poor long term storage.

Posted on: 2016/5/5 18:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
Dan and Fred respectfully disagree. They have many nice cars which are kept indoors in dry storage, some for over 50 years. This car is one of the last and possibly the very last coachbuilt Packard and very much deserves saving. For 10 years they have owned a stripped Patrician body shell in excellent condition and to restore the limousine will be perhaps 35% more than the Patrician. Would they rather have a 3rd 51-54 Patrician or a Ray Dietrich designed coachbuilt limousine, easy decision .

Thanks
James

Posted on: 2016/5/5 20:32
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Hey, go for it! Just blog it here, please.

Craig

Posted on: 2016/5/5 21:57
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Definitely all in favor; the stretched doors and small rear window will give it very nice lines, and it is a unique slice of history.

Now I just need someone to belly up to the bar and place an order for the same thing done to a 56. I have it all worked out in my head.......

Posted on: 2016/5/6 5:39
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
This car is one of the last and possibly the very last coachbuilt Packard...

Well, certainly not the very last. 250 Henney limos and at least 13 or 14 other Derham formals and other styles followed it. And I suppose one could argue that the '53 Caribbeans were coachbuilt. But, regardless, it's historically significant as one of the last Dietrich projects; his last facility opened in 1949 in Grand Rapids, Michigan, d/b/a Raymond Dietrich, Inc. and closed 2 years later - probably his most noteworthy creation during this time was the Lincoln Cosmopolitan convertible for President Harry Truman, later fitted with a "bubble top" during the Eisenhower administration.

I've had a long-term interest in this car and I'm all in favor of seeing Dan and Fred bring it back to life.

Posted on: 2016/5/6 8:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

phsnkw
See User information
It looks like pretty much all of the parts would be stock except the extension, rear doors and rear window (although the rectangular middle piece used on the seniors might do). The Kanter brothers definitely would have the extra parts to complete it. It would be interesting to see the reconstruction of it!

Posted on: 2016/5/6 15:26
"Do you ever think about the things you do think about?"

Inherit the Wind
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 25 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved