Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 128

West Peterson, TxGoat, Dbedsole, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 25 »

Re: Kanter's 1952 Packard Limo Restoration
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day fredkanter,
back to PackardInfo! Great to see the limo being resurrected, will be eagerly following along as it progresses.

Behoving my being the Forum Ambassador with a particular focus on the Packard Owner's Registry, could you please include the Limo in the Registry? And, as long as I'm on this tack, any other Packards you have? In fact, the more the merrier!

Posted on: 2016/6/28 20:51
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Do- over, block cracked in the usual place from top of bore to exh valve seat. Will be diassembling another 327 9 main with crossed fingers

Great fun getting black up to my elbows again.

Posted on: 2016/6/29 17:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Progress has slowed a bit due to the need to run a business and other distractions. Motor #2 has been disassembled and magnafluxed, to my dismay it too has a crack from an exh valve seat over to a cylinder wall. One repair shop said they can't get to it until after Pebble Beach, will try another.

While waiting, the chassis is being sandblasted then it will be painted an appropriate semi-gloss black. Next will be the clear coating of the front suspension, rebuilding of the brakes, new shocks and installation of new custom made front and rear springs which have already arrived. Soon we'll have a pretty, 99+% accurately restored chassis.

Robert Neal's magnificent book notes that there were 4 of these beauties, one completed by Dietrich Inc with a fancy interior and 3 others started by them and completed by Henney with plainer interiors. Ours appears to be the #1 car with the fancy interior as the car in Neal's book has a more utilitarian look in the front compartment

At this point I no longer believe our car is the last coachbuilt Packard. Live and learn.

Posted on: 2016/7/13 11:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
With having the fancy interior and being the car that had AC installed, was there enough left to see what they provided for air outlets? Was curious how or where they brought out the ducting to the passenger compt. Nothing was obvious on the interior photos posted earlier and all you could see in the trunk was they apparently ran the AC output under the car to somewhere instead of doing the usual ducts on the package shelf.

Posted on: 2016/7/13 16:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
The rear interior looked like a bomb went off in it, roof rusted through in places so water poured in. Rear oval window was lying on package shelf, headliner was draped over rear seat/floor. We saved everything, will look at and post photos soon.

Posted on: 2016/7/13 17:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Fred

"At this point I no longer believe our car is the last coachbuilt Packard. Live and learn."

Why do you believe this is so? It might not be the very last, but it might well be the last still extant enough to restore......

Steve

Posted on: 2016/7/13 19:25
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Technically that distinction would belong to the 1954 Henney-Packards but yours is certainly one of the last by Dietrich!

Posted on: 2016/7/13 19:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
I'm a bit fuzzy on what to define as a coachbuilt vehicle.
For sure our car built by Dietrich Inc. is but i'm not so sure about the Henney 8 passengers in 53-54. If they are, then perhaps all the 70's specialty cars such as the Buick GNX and the Olds W-30's etc are and the Cavalier convertibles??

I consider the Henneys and other cars listed as limited production vehicles.

Thoughts??

Posted on: 2016/7/13 20:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Does this crack problem happen at a certain cylinder or can it be any cylinder?
John

Posted on: 2016/7/14 9:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Most often but not always from valve seat to cyl 4 or 5. One block has one crack from #5 , the other block which had an enormous amount of rust sediment over 2" deep on the freeze plug side had 3 cyls cracked including #7. I'm guessing it had to do with in sufficient cooling at the valve seat areas??

Posted on: 2016/7/14 10:19
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 25 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved