Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
95 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 92

Ross, 29tons, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Dome light switch
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
I recently purchased what I thought was a replacement dome light switch for my 41. Once I compared the two switches I realized that my original has 2 posts for the 2 wires and the other switch looks as if it grounds without a ground wire. Can anyone advise me if the single pole switch is for another year Packard. I was told by the seller that it was a 41 NOS switch. Thank you.

Attach file:

jpg  (73.74 KB)
58975_572c86db1d640.jpg 1200X743 px

Posted on: 2016/5/6 6:58
 Top  Print 

Re: Dome light switch
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I believe the switch you bought is for a 1941. If you check the parts list for dome lamp switches ((30.622) you'll see there are several different switches used in 1941 depending on body type, electricals, and color.

Posted on: 2016/5/6 9:03
 Top  Print 

Re: Dome light switch
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The single terminal in various forms was for all postwar models but it gets a bit hit and miss on prewars. It would appear some late 30s models, the 41 Clipper and all 42 models also used the single terminal switch. From what I can see on schematics, those cars had the power fed directly to the bulb via body feed wiring and used a single terminal switch to break the ground side. No idea how many models have door switches also controlling the dome or courtesy lights but switching the ground side makes it a lot easier with multiple switches. Just a single power wire and all the switches could be in parallel operating independently on the ground side with minimal wiring needed per switch.

On the 40 and 41 conventional bodies it appears they took power for the dome light from the tail light circuit. That was routed thru the two pole switch and then on to bulb. Ground was directly at the lamp assy..

Here is a 41 schematic showing the power take off point at the license and tail light circuit.

Attach file:

jpg  (58.79 KB)
209_572ca693cbb90.jpg 672X1222 px

Posted on: 2016/5/6 9:13
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved