Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 122

humanpotatohybrid, 37Blanche, Greg, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

What kind of car is this?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
What kind of car is Louisiana U.S. Senator Huey P. Long standing next to in this picture? Since Long was assassinated in 1935, the year of the car can't be any later than 1935.

If you look closely, you'll see that the two-panel windshield is opened at the bottom.

as always
Garrett Meadows

Attach file:

jpg  (25.55 KB)
57744_5743b445163de.jpg 380X297 px

Posted on: 2016/5/23 20:54
 Top  Print   

Re: What kind of car is this?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Easy. Looks like a 1935 De Soto Airflow. Yes, the windshields opened.

For some weird reason, American media and general public have made fun of these cars over the years and rejected them for their beautiful streamlined styling.

Yet, a streamlined Delahaye shows up at a car show today or concours and people can't praise it enough and can't wait to shove a trophy in the owner's hands. Another one of those ironies of the car world.

Posted on: 2016/5/23 21:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Thank you for the info. In spite of my extremely limited ability to ID cars of any era, I could easily see that it was a car of unique design based on the grill and stream-lined appearance, windshields that opened from the bottom, it was definitely not in keeping with the pervasive car designs of the era.

I'm not remotely sure if the car belong to Huey P. Long or if a press photographer just happened to catch Long walking to his office in the Capitol building and stopped him for a photo. However, knowing Long's flamboyant personality, it would have been appropriate for him to own such a car.

as always,
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2016/5/24 6:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
I did a follow-up BING search just for my own personal info and discovered that the DeSoto Airflow had everything to recommend it as being a superior and much more innovative "ride." Here's an excerpt from the Wikipedia entry. The article went on to say that Henry Chrysler was highly disappointed that the car was a commercial failure.

as always
Garrett Meadows

In addition to the benefits of its smoother exterior design, which translated into a quieter passenger compartment than on previous DeSoto models, the car featured wider front seats and deeper back seats with more leg room.[1] Passengers sat on seats which were a good distance from either axle. They reminded one of a Victorian era davenport (sofa).[4]

Because of the car's unibody construction, passengers rode within the frame of the car, not on top of the car as they did with other American makes. It also boasted a stiffer body and better weight distribution through the engine placement over the front wheels, in contrast to the common practice of placing the center of the engine's gravity just behind the front wheels. The automotive press gave the cars positive reviews for their handling and acceleration.

Posted on: 2016/5/24 6:49
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Not sure if it was his car or not, but it does have a "CONGRESS" plate topper on it.

Posted on: 2016/5/25 9:32
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
Regarding the swing-out windshields, numerous car manufacturers used them on closed cars up until the later 1930's, including Packard. I believe Packard phased them out with the introduction of the 120 in 1935.

Posted on: 2016/5/25 23:13
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
During the summer months, one can only imagine the constant blast of super-heated air coming off the roadway, over the hood, and into the passenger compartment. Perhaps the design of the car took into account the possibility of such an occurrence and the air some how managed to go over the top of the car. I'll readily admit I don't know.
as always
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2016/5/26 7:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My '34 still has an opening front windshield and I use it often in very hot weather - very effective cooling ventilation with the occasional bug or insect to add to the experience.

Posted on: 2016/5/26 8:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Don is right, in 1935 no more windshields that open in both junior & senior line.

But the cowl vent is very effective. On packards they open towards the front so lots of fresh air coming but on cadillac they open towards the rear and are not very effective at all.

Posted on: 2016/5/26 10:22
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved