Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Drooping door handle 19349 Super 8
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rick M
See User information
Hello,
I have a drooping door exterior handle on my '39 Super 8. I have new springs and can see where the broken spring is but I wonder if there is a trick to removing the door lock to replace the spring.

It looks somewhat straight forward but I wonder if it is not. I have searched both here and on the Internet and have found no informantion. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Rick

Posted on: 2016/5/28 10:05
 Top  Print   

Re: Drooping door handle 19349 Super 8
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Hi Rick; I just had a 42 180 apart, they should be the same. You need to take all the handles and cranks off inside and out, the window frame, then the door panel off- you must use plastic tools and be right next to and on the clips or you can damage the board the upholstery is on. start at the bottom and do the top two last so they support the panel as you work. next take the three screws out of the inner door handle support, the end that hooks to the lock will come off when turned 90 degrees. unscrew the lock screw and (window up) slide the lock down until you can turn it around the window channel. John Ulrich sells the springs. Good luck

Posted on: 2016/5/28 19:53

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
Good to know as I have the same problem.

Posted on: 2016/8/16 11:49
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Roberto Isola
See User information
Hello,
I also have the same problem, however I was wondering once the latch lock mechanism is removed how do you replace the spring itself. Does anyone have photo or instruction how to actually replace the spring itself.
Thank you Roberto

Posted on: 2016/8/20 0:05
cityvintage@hotmail.com
Purveyors of men's vintage clothing 1900-1960's
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
I believe the fellow in El Sobrante, ca. sells the springs? Need to be cleaned and lubricated. Sometimes sagging handles is due to sagging door, and not the latch.

Posted on: 2016/8/20 8:33
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rick M
See User information
I replace the larger spring on mine and the door handle does not droop as badly as before but there is a second spring that I did not replace. That smaller spring should be replaced at the same time I believe.

The locks in my '39 Super 8 were surprisingly clean inside. Not as dirty as I expected. I used lithium grease on the internals of the lock. I was taught to retract the lock when closing the doors as a child and I still do that most times on my Super 8.

Rick
'39Super 8 (1703)

Posted on: 2016/8/25 1:15
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved