Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 157

Ozstatman, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

White smoke from road draft tube
Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I get white smoke from my road draft tube when running the clipper(1954 288) in the garage. None from the exhaust pipe. It appears to be continuous. Where should I look for a water leak first?

Posted on: 2016/5/28 15:49
 Top  Print 

Re: White smoke from road draft tube
Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Do you see smoke from the oil filler too? If so, this is likely blow-by and a compression check both wet & dry would be next on the list.
If there is little smoke when cold and it gets worse at temperature, it may be a coolant leak. Somebody who has Flathead experience has to take it from here!

Posted on: 2016/5/28 16:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Good places to start. White smoke can also be caused by a bad seal in the power brake booster, if it has one, but when this happens, it generally comes out the exhaust as far as I know.

Posted on: 2016/5/28 17:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
If the "smoke" is just wisps of visible vapor that dissipates into the ambient air quickly, it's probably just the crankcase ventilation system ridding itself of water and other vapors as it is designed to do. Do you see similar vapor rising from the vent in the oil filler cap when the engine is warmed up and then shut down? That would be normal also.

Does the smoke have any detectable odor to it? If it has a fishy or hot rubber odor it could be antifreeze, but I'd expect that you would see white smoke billowing from the exhaust system also. It would be puffing white smoke like a steam engine due to an internal cooling system leak (possible blown headgasket or cracked block.) How does the oil look on the dipstick? Oil contaminated with coolant may be frothy and have a milky or caf? au lait-like look to it. Does the engine use coolant? If the coolant level is dropping with no signs of an external coolant leak then a cooling system pressure test would be in order. If none of these conditions apply then I don't think you have a problem there.

Posted on: 2016/5/28 22:33
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Thanks, covers a good list and I will check it out today. No smoke from the exhaust pipe, I already had checked that. It may be from setting and is just getting rid of condensation. I hope that is all. Will take a long drive and see if the smoke is still coming out, hadn't done that before.

Posted on: 2016/5/29 10:06
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved