Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 166

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

32 twin six
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I was looking at this 32 twin six roadster:
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/packard/twin-six/1838890.html#PhotoSwipe1464532344838

What's up with the crummy brown engine? Why didn't it come in packard green? Is this a restoration where the owner gave himself the liberty to paint whatever because packard would paint any car any desired color? How about the 120 mph extra speedometer? Can anyone shed some light on this?

Posted on: 2016/5/29 10:19
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Re: 32 twin six
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
BDC, the 'extra' speedometer is a tachometer with two scales, one for engine RPM and the other that relates the vehicle speed for a given engine speed. Interesting accessory. May not be a Packard item as the glove box door was used to mount the instrument.

(o{}o)

A second look reveals the tach drive coming off the distributor with a cable going over the top of the engine and through the cowl wall on the driver side.

Posted on: 2016/5/29 14:05
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The tachometer is a modified 34 speedometer. I don't understand why they blocked out the odometer and not the speedometer, but it's an interesting job.

The car looks like one of those budget restorations from the 1950's. The original Packard green burned off in a hurry and so the motor is probably original. By the look of the ride height it is not a high mileage car.

You gotta love that original rear mounted spare and chrome radiator shell. I'm sure once the "restorers" get done with it everything worthy of note will be obliterated.

I remember lots of cars like that years ago. Almost all of them have been destroyed.

Posted on: 2016/5/29 15:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Also it's advertised as a roadster but it has roll up windows, which would make it a convertible coupe.

So the speedometer on the tachometer would only be right in 3rd gear.

Posted on: 2016/5/29 15:53
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The official Packard name for that body style was "Coupe-Roadster". No doubt they did that to quell concerns over dropping the open roadsters after the 8th series.

Posted on: 2016/5/30 7:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
Still all in all, I wouldn't kick it out of my garage.

Posted on: 2016/8/16 16:44
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved