Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1934 Std 8 oil mesh air cleaner, cleaning and re-oiling question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom Beidleman
See User information
I've read the Service Manual instructions for servicing the air cleaner but still have some questions:
Do I keep running kerosene through the mesh until it runs clear, or as long as it isn't running pitch black but down to "light to hazy" OK ?
And just how do you re-oil the mesh ? and how much of the 50 SAE OIL do you use, i.e. whole quart, more/less ?
Since the mesh is copper wire (I believe) it isn't going to absorb the oil, and I'm wondering about oil pooling and just laying in the bottom of the cleaner.
Thanks,
Tom

Posted on: 2016/5/29 15:53
 Top  Print   

Re: 1934 Std 8 oil mesh air cleaner, cleaning and re-oiling question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi Tom:

A lot of the filtration on those cars was by virtue of the slinger effect of the fan. That is, particulates were slung away by the fan blades. Next the air had to change direction to enter the mesh. More particulates dropped by this action. However, air entering from the top would have dirt falling into the air intake so the mesh was there to trap some of that dirt. That is why some of those filters also have a plate over the top to prevent this action.

Anyway, the mesh need only be lightly oiled because the service interval is 30 days. Obviously for show cars this is not happening.

I knew someone who put a forklift air cleaner on their 902 with very good results, so if you use the car regularly I would consider that route with the original grasshopper strainer kept safely on the shelf.

Posted on: 2016/5/29 16:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom Beidleman
See User information
Thanks Tim. It is not a show car, and not a daily driver either, but I am hoping to do some Carovans and just local get-togethers in good weather.
Regards,
TomB

Posted on: 2016/5/29 16:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I wash the copper mesh with charcoal lighter fluid, similar solvency as kerosene but odorless. I just lightly oil the mesh with SAE 50. Unlike the 30s not many dirty and dusty roads today, I do the service about 3000 miles.

Posted on: 2016/5/29 17:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom Beidleman
See User information
Thanks OD,
I'm not sure when the oil in my air cleaner was last changed or the mesh cleaned, but I'm assuming its been "many" years.
That is why I am asking about just how clear the kerosene or lighter fluid needs to be....I've gone from black to light brown.
And just how you apply the oil, i.e. simply pour it into the vents while rotating the cleaner or ?? On your '34, do you use say about 1/2 a quart or more or less ?

Posted on: 2016/5/29 19:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I rinse with solvent until it comes essentially "clean" and then allow the solvent to dry before oiling. I hold it vertically, mesh end down, and use a little pump oiler and squirt the oil into each louvre, probably using less than a pint. After installing on the car I leave a rag beneath it for a couple of hours to catch any excess than may drain out.

Though it needs it far less frequently, the same regime is called for with the oiled mesh in your crankcase breather air intake (oil filler cap).

Posted on: 2016/5/30 7:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom Beidleman
See User information
Thanks OD, That was exactly what I wanted to know, and thanks for the top about the crankcase air breather cap as well. Frankly, I didn't know anything about that, so thanks again.
TomB

Posted on: 2016/5/30 13:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Barry Lowe
See User information
can anyone point me in the direction to purchase oil filters for my 31 straight eight ?
I would think a site like this would have a full range of contacts for these most used components.
Thanks
Barry

Posted on: 2016/7/4 10:21
1925 333 Phaeton
1926 Phantom 1 Rolls Royce
1926 Hudon super six Coupe
1927 Peerless Roadster
1927 433 7 passenger limo
1928 Peerless coupe
1929 Peerless Boatail coupe
1929 Phantom I Rolls Royce
1930 Springfield Phantom 1 Regent
1931 L-29 Cord
1931 833 Convertible
1931 833 Opera Coupe
1934 Phantom 11 Rolls Royce
1934 1101 Roadster
1934 1101 Coupe
1934 V12 Opera coupe
1936 120
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Your 31 should use a Purolater EF-2; a modern replica of it which takes modern spin-on filters inside is available from R&A Engineering - they advertise prominently in most of the Packard fraternity publications.

Posted on: 2016/7/4 16:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Barry Lowe,
to PackardInfo and for including your '31 Standard Eight Convertible Coupe in the Packard Owner's Registry. Looks good!

Posted on: 2016/7/4 18:06
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved