Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: The rear axel blues!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As there are no gaskets between the backing plate and the axle housing, gaskets are not involved with the measurement and setting of the axle end play. The shims are metal and thus essentially non-compressible, gaskets are outboard of the backing plate.

Posted on: 2019/4/19 10:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
OD, maybe I'm looking at it wrong but the manual says to install the shims and then the brake plate, next comes the gasket and the rest of the hardware with still another gasket. Then it says to check the End Play. After the bolts are torqued down to 35 to 40 foot pounds.
It would seem to me it would be better to leave the gaskets off check it, add and remove shims as needed, then install then gaskets.
Because with the gasket installed it looks like your reading the shims and the gasket thickness as well.
Wes

Posted on: 2019/4/19 11:09
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You can't be reading/adjusting a combined thickness of the shims and gasket thicknesses as there are no gaskets between the backing plate and the end of the axle housing, only non-compressible shims.

Posted on: 2019/4/19 12:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kunzea
See User information
As I posted earlier, the two bearing cups, axles (with fixed thrust bearings) and the thrust block are in direct contact end-to-end and they float between the backing plates. The diameter of the center holes in the shims is larger than the bearing cup diameter, allowing both cups to move.

I will use a dial indicator and vise grips to measure the end play.

Attach file:

jpg  (135.51 KB)
85709_5cba04d63a56f.jpg 1920X1152 px

Posted on: 2019/4/19 12:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
OD and kunzea, Okay I see where I made my mistake, now that I look at it again it all makes senses.
Thanks Guys!
Wes

Posted on: 2019/4/19 20:04
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Spats
See User information
Anyone got any idea why the gasket between the seal retainer and the oil guard is shaped like it is; with one hole for a bolt and one to line iup with the weep hole. Seems like the whole assembly will tighten down unevenly, but the Packard engineers must have had a reason for designing the gasket this way.

Posted on: 2020/2/21 15:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Just guessing Gasket(12.031), maybe so it wouldn't get mixed-up with the other gasket.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (119.28 KB)
1003_5e51a64022b11.jpg 1802X1172 px

Posted on: 2020/2/22 17:08
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved