Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 151

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Brakes pulling
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

gregb(peoria, il)
See User information
Please forgive me if this has been covered before, but I've perused the forum a bit and haven't found anything. On my 1951 200, the brakes are pulling to the right quite a bit. It just started a few months ago, with no changes by me. Less than two years ago, I put in new wheel cylinders, new master cylinder, new lines, and new shoes. I have tried adjusting the brakes on each wheel numerous times with no results. Not sure where to go next. Anyone have any suggestions?

Posted on: 2016/6/9 19:37
 Top  Print 

Re: Brakes pulling
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Adjustment a very unlikely culprit as hydraulic pressure and hence the force of the shoes against the drum would be equal at both wheels, assuming no hydraulic faults. Leaking grease seal or something that has altered the friction surfaces is more likely. Why not just pull the drum and see what's to be seen?

Posted on: 2016/6/9 19:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
If a check of the brakes as O_D very wisely suggests shows nothing amiss inside the brake drums, the next thing to check are the kingpins. Worn pins can manifest as a pull when braking.

Another possible culprit is an internally-collapsed brake hose. In your post you mention new lines, and I'm assuming the hoses were also replaced so this could be unlikely. But if everything else checks out OK then they should be checked. Good luck with this and please let us know what you find.

Posted on: 2016/6/9 22:53
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Most likely a bad brake hose.

Posted on: 2016/6/10 13:45
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

gregb(peoria, il)
See User information
Thanks guys for the input. At least now I have some things to check. I'll let you know what I find out.

Posted on: 2016/6/12 8:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Checkouthttp://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL22NO13.pdf
I'm attaching a bit from the bulletin so you know you have the right article. But the first thing is to pull the hubs off and look as to what is causing the problem, I would guess dirty (wet) brake shoes.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (141.99 KB)
1003_575f4d086cbee.jpg 666X911 px

Posted on: 2016/6/13 19:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Also, check front tire pressure, then switch the front tires to eliminate tire/wheel issues. Hope this helps

Posted on: 2016/6/15 13:15
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Thad Gegner
See User information
it's possible that on the side that pulls, that the primary and secondary shoes are installed incorrectly by reversing their positions.. I had that problem some years ago and that was the culprit.

Posted on: 2016/6/26 0:16
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved