Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
88 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 87

Spencer B., more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 47 Steering Column disassembly help needed.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Sounds very interesting. Am curious about the stepped sleeve. Is it similar in construction to the curved or concave sleeve used on the original ball bearing assy except with straight sides for the needles? Does it slide down the shaft to the bearing and can it move or change position as needed for the shroud to wheel height adjustment? Is the tension spring under the wheel that held the concave ring in contact with the balls still used?

Posted on: 2016/10/6 12:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Wesley Boyer. Cordova Tennessee. Is that in Memphis area??
Memphis is all that will show on Google maps.
I'm 30 miles WEST of Nashville Tn.

Posted on: 2016/10/6 14:26
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Too bad I did not take pictures.

The sleeve is hardened steel and has an outer diameter of 25 millimeters at a length of 17 millimeters where the needle cage fits. Then there is a short section with a bigger diameter of about 30 millimeters as a stop for the needle cage. The sleeve is a light shrink fit on the shaft with the bigger diameter section downwards/forward, under the needle cage to stop it from sliding down the steering shaft.

The needle cage moves freely up and down in the outer race. To remove the outer tube I just release it by the steering gearbox and lift, the outer race stays with the tube and the needle cage stays on the sleeve by gravity but it can be removed just by lifting off. When the body comes in place of course the tube most also be freed from the instrument board before removal.

The tension spring is not installed as there is no need for any axial force on the bearing but I may install it later with a plain washer instead of the concave ring just to make it look original when the steering wheel is removed.

Posted on: 2016/10/7 1:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Very nice. That seems like a viable alternative for anyone missing parts of the original bearing and unable to find the needed pieces. The replacement bearing seems to be easily available from several places but I don't know how easy or expensive it would be to have the sleeve machined.

As to the spring, I don't think anyone would know or even miss the tension spring if it was not present. As you said, it no longer serves a purpose and if the sleeve is a light fit on the shaft could tend to push the bearing assy and sleeve down the shaft a bit farther. In that case the spring probably wouldn't do much anyway. About the only reason to have it would be to keep it available in case at some point someone found or repaired an original and wanted to go back to stock.

Posted on: 2016/10/7 10:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Totally agree with all You said.

I just do not like loose bearing balls but in the future if somebody wants to have it the way it was from the beginning it would be handy to find the spring.

Posted on: 2016/10/7 15:15
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved