Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
100 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Rear axle inner and outer grease seals
Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Does anyone have a current cross reference for the Packard Junior/Deluxe8 (1946-50) rear grease seals? I need both inner and outer. Kanter and Max Meritt have but want to source locally. Thanks

Posted on: 2016/6/17 10:00
 Top  Print 

Re: Rear axle inner and outer grease seals
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't have the number offhand but here is a link for a seal xref list put together by the Stude club.http://www.studebaker-info.org/Cb/MetalSealXch.txt Almost all the Packard seals are listed. There are a few missing but for the most part if you take the C/R, Victor or National number and plug it in to the SKF interchange pagehttp://www2.chicago-rawhide.com/popup_parts_lookup_457012.htm you can see if there is something modern.

One word of caution. I have found most of the seals crossed are good with the diameters and general type of sealing material (leather seems to have mostly gone away) but the width is the big variable. Sometimes they will list two or three numbers so you have to choose width close to what is original if you can. Most are probably not a big deal if narrower or wider but a few of the crosses -- specifically 47 senior front axle seals are too wide to fit in the drum. I don't know if Packard used something special on the really narrow seals of if those were standard at the time and just went away with all the seal mfg consolidation.

Another thing I found is even though there is an SKF or NAPA number it does not mean they are in stock. By the time they are special ordered and you pay the freight charge (if they have to come from a remote warehouse) our vendors look very competitive.

Posted on: 2016/6/17 10:22
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Howard, Thanks. I found that SKF/CR 17145 is a substitute for the front grease seals on the junior Packards using #329536. The rears seem to be illusive.

Posted on: 2016/6/17 11:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Dallas, did you ever find a good replacement for the inner seal? I'm looking for one for my 47 Custom Super Clipper It looks to be 2.561 O.D. I haven't checked the I.D. yet. I was thinking to try a Timken 473473 for the outer seal.
Thanks!
Wes

Posted on: 2017/5/17 10:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Just a humble reminder...If we don't use our Packard Vendors for the easy things...they might not be around when we are looking for the hard things...Ernie

Posted on: 2017/5/17 10:35
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Noted Ernie, I do used both, Packard Vendors and Local Vendors. I had already got my gaskets from Kanter and was thinking I could just pickup the seals local. Still I guess I'm just too hard headed or old school and think you can still pickup the parts you need at the local parts store. BOY am I WRONG. But good point!
Thanks!
Wes

Posted on: 2017/5/17 12:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
We have a deep stock of virtually all maintenance items and other things like clock winding knob retaining screws which tend not to wear out. And the parts will fit first time.

We appreciate your business

Posted on: 2017/5/17 12:30
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved