Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 102

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: 1956 Carribbean Convertible 5699-1001
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thread on PAC Website by Leeedy re his stolen Caribbean, no VIN.

Posted on: 2016/6/27 19:32
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
Quote:

58L8134 wrote:
Hi

Yes, this historic, poor '56 Caribbean did appear at the Centennial. I have two photos of it, looked a little bit better then, but not much more so than now. Seem to recall it was rather outrageously price for its condition, though it generated considerable interest. Sorry to see it hasn't been restored.

Also at the Centennial: The shocker was the '34 Twelve 1108 V-windshield Dietrich convertible sedan in ratty, preserved condition owned by a bearded fellow in the white hard hat. He seemed to be engaged in serious conversations with various obviously well-healed fellows in hot pursuit of that ultimate prize.

I wouldn't have missed the Centennial for the world!

Steve

34 dietrich custom mystery solved

This car was owned for many many years by a gentleman from central New Jersey named Matthews, as far as we know it was the only 7 pass custom Dietrich conv sedan built. He was a long time Kanter Auto customer. Fred recalls that Ralph Marano of NJ bought and fully restored it

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Products

Posted on: 2016/6/28 7:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John McCall and Mitch Parker
See User information
Thanks for your message. My Caribbean was purchased from Bob Harbut of Cragmont Acres Auto Salvage in Madison, CT on November 27, 1970. My partner who flew from Atlanta to get it (despite my pleas to have it transported)purchased it on November 27, 1970. He made it as far as the bridge in West Nyack, NY (the push-button Ultramatic had been rigged with a floor shifter)and had it towed to Ray's Esso Service Center at Rt. 59 and Waldon Ave. They agreed to store the car until Dr. Thomas could make arrangements to have it towed. When we called to do this, the telephone number was disconnected and the station had supposedly gone out of business. We chalked it up to bad luck. Many years later I found a classic auto dealer in Nyack and told my story to them (in 1977). By then, the car had appreciated considerably and they investigated it, even contacting the police for us. The police advised that because of the statute of limitations that there was little we could do and it was purely a civil matter. I was young and not versed in the legalities of such a situation, so I moved on.

After rejoining the Packard Club, I found that an issue had been published listing all Caribbeans (in the Cormorant). To my surprise I found the car listed as being in PA and owned by Les Bowen. I tracked him down in Florida. He had partially restored the car and had sold it to someone in Illinois or Indiana as I recall. I had no luck making any contacts. After that, my detective work took me nowhere and without the finances to really hire legal help, I let it ride.

I have the clear South Carolina title in my name(Dr. Thomas and I moved to Rock Hill, SC after the purchase of the car) and also receipts for a battery he bought at Ray's, his two plane tickets, the original bill of sale, insurance with JC Taylor, etc.

I will certainly try and contact the gentleman you have suggested. I am, of course, very glad that the car was saved. I had been told that it perhaps had gone to the crusher and was led to believe that for a good while.

By the way, I have been a good Kanter customer for many years (with several other Packards who have their hand out).
Thank you for your contributions to keeping these cars on the road.

Posted on: 2016/6/28 8:35
1956 Packard Caribbean Convertible
1956 Packard Patrician Touring Sedan
1938 Eight Touring Sedan
1949 Custom Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Many years later I found a classic auto dealer in Nyack and told my story to them

By any chance was that Ed Jurist at Vintage Store Car on South Broadway in Nyack? Jurist was one of the very first to form a business specializing in the sale of vintage and historic vehicles and extremely well known in the hobby at that time. Many cars in the hobby today (including my own '34) passed thru Ed Jurist's hands. By all measures a very reputable and knowledgeable man.

Posted on: 2016/6/28 8:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John McCall and Mitch Parker
See User information
Indeed it was! Mr. E.A. Jurist signed the letter as President of the Vintage Car Store, Inc. on June 23, 1977.

Posted on: 2016/6/28 10:11
1956 Packard Caribbean Convertible
1956 Packard Patrician Touring Sedan
1938 Eight Touring Sedan
1949 Custom Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Is this the 34 Dietrich you're talking about?

Attach file:

jpg  (33.43 KB)
5061_577297f62bdc5.jpg 720X480 px

jpg  (28.82 KB)
5061_57729802a4602.jpg 720X480 px

Posted on: 2016/6/28 10:30
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Maybe, maybe not - can't tell. The car as I recall it from the Centennial was green and apparently had a VERY well worn engine that smoked like a mosquito exterminator. I'm sure it shows up in the background in some of my pictures of the Centennial.

Posted on: 2016/6/28 10:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
The picture above is not of the car. As of the last CCCA roster it is still owned by Ralph.

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Products

Posted on: 2016/6/28 10:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
The car in the picture is Ralph's.

Posted on: 2016/6/28 11:55
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard5687
See User information
Re the '53 Caribbean - Yes! That is an amazingly low price.
I wonder if that is this Caribbean:
https://56packardman.wordpress.com/2015/06/29/gear-head-tuesday-what-is-in-mikes-garage/

(scroll down when you are on the page)

Perhaps it isn't as that was not a Mecum auction. The Caribbean I wrote about went to Mecum in a packaged deal to get a '32 Duesenberg SJ. The man who traded the Caribbean as part of the deal to get the Duesenberg died only about 6 months later.

https://56packardman.wordpress.com/2015/09/29/gear-head-tuesday-mikes-new-toy/

He still had the '55 Caribbean (5588-1185) when he died. I'm trying to keep track of where this car goes. As the owner had an ongoing working rapport with Mecum, it will probably go to one of their auctions.

Posted on: 2016/6/28 12:53
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved