Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 132

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

what size radials for a 1949 4 door sedan? Series 22
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DBeck
See User information
I finally got the car finished and have sure been enjoying it till it got so dang hot here in Oklahoma. The car drives great at slower speed but it has tire shake around 60 m.p.h. there are no weights on the tires. I went to have them balanced and the tire guy asked me if the car had been setting for a long time, I told him it had. He said his machine showed that one of the tires needed as much as 11 ounces on it. By the way the tires are Firestone bias belted. He said to drive it a while and he would try again, not sure what driving would have to do with the balance on the tires.

I am thinking about putting new radials on it, my question is what is the correct size of tires would be the best fit for my sedan, I have one company say 215 75r 15 and another say 235 75r 15. Checking here to see what the experts here tell me.

I will try and get some new pictures posted soon. Waiting to hear from you guys on sizes and where the best place to buy.

Best Regards,
Dave

Posted on: 2016/6/23 14:10
 Top  Print   

Re: what size radials for a 1949 4 door sedan? Series 22
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Original specs for 22nd series used a fairly narrow tire 700-15. On 23 series they went to slightly wider -- 760-15 and 800-15 for the 8 and supers. 820-15 on the Customs.

Here is a chart from Diamondback giving some dimensions bias to radials so you can cross tires. Diamonbacks have been given good marks by many but they are a bit expensive. A couple of tire places have a radial tire that looks like a bias tire which might be worth investigating. IIRC those are about the same price as the Diamondbacks.

If the size of the bias tire now on the car seems appropriate I think I would check the chart and see how close you can get to the average height with a radial. That way the speedo drive ratio isn't messed up too much. Some of the cars with originally narrow tires have a problem getting wide aspect tires like the 235s out of the wheel well so keep that in mind.

Attach file:

jpg  (147.99 KB)
209_576c43a96855d.jpg 1604X596 px

Posted on: 2016/6/23 15:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
You might suggest to your tire tech that he turn the tire on the rim by 90 deg. This change in tire and wheel relationship will sometimes allow the tire to be balanced with a reasonable amount of weight. He may need to keep rotating the tire in 90 deg changes to achieve the best location. Worth looking into if you are not ready to spring for a new set of radial$.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2016/6/23 16:41
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning dBeck...'Miss Prudence', a 1949 288 Deluxe, runs on a set of P225-75R15 Black Wall Radials and she seems to like them quite a bit. Hope this is some help. Ernie

Posted on: 2016/6/24 11:53
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
don't get too bold - the fit in the rear is pretty tight

Posted on: 2016/6/24 12:16
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved