Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'35 1200, gear shift pops out of 3rd during engine decelaration
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Heptig
See User information
I have had my car repaired at a local shop it need pretty much a complete engine rebuild, which they have done and the car seems to run well. I'm having an issue with the shifter however, the transmission was removed when the engine was done so that may the reason. In any case when you lift your foot off the throttle and you'd like the engine braking to slow you down, the car tends to pop out of 3rd to neutral which is annoying. It a large car and keeping one hand on the shifter isn't really possible all the time, and having the engine braking can be critical, has anybody ever seen this issue, would some adjustment or set up process when the transmission is re installed possibly be the cause?

Posted on: 2016/6/25 16:51
ClassicCrusier
 Top  Print   

Re: '35 1200, gear shift pops out of 3rd during engine decelaration
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
This bulletin might have some information. I would assume Packards "hop out" is the same symptom as you are having.

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SL-VOL7NO12.pdf

Posted on: 2016/6/25 17:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Hi C C; If your problem did not occur before the rebuild I would look for a alinement problem between the transmission and engine. Might be a problem with the pilot bearing.

Posted on: 2016/6/25 18:43

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
I had issue with my 32 popping out of high gear. Replacing the spring that held the ball detention with a stronger spring fixed my problem.

Posted on: 2016/6/25 23:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Seen this before. Having your engine rebuilt built up the compression which translates to more pressure being transferred to the transmission gears. Believe this is why your getting HOPOUT now vrs before the rebuild. Worn bearings and gear wear add to the gears not being parallel. Have found that heavier oil helps a little.

Holding the gear in place via the shifter does hold the gear in place but the down side is what your doing is holding a Fork onto a Gear surface and when you get pasted the layer of oil your on metal to metal and thus Fork and Gear get wear. Suggest if u do do this u tap the shifter leaver and let the oil get back onto the gear and fork. OR jsut use ur barkes.

Posted on: 2016/7/3 9:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sounds like it's time for a transmission rebuild. These are really precise and robust units typically outlasting an engine rebuild by tens of thousands of miles. Perhaps yours has suffered from lack of good care (lubrication)? Bearing kits are thankfully again available, and normally unless they have been brutalized the synchros usually only require adjustment.

Attach file:

jpg  (71.95 KB)
177_57793dabb0680.jpg 390X555 px

Posted on: 2016/7/3 11:07
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Heptig
See User information
Thanks for your input I have some questions:

- The bulletin mention a change to the sliding gear, I would assume that is no longer available as a new part so what would be possible now?

- I can imagine after 80 years the bearings could be worn, would that result in the problem?

- The larger spring seemed a simple suggestion to implement, but on reflection is it similar to just holding the trans in gear and causing additional wear?

Thanks for the ideas, just trying to decide what my best option may be.

Posted on: 2016/7/6 8:59
ClassicCrusier
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
- The bulletin mention a change to the sliding gear, I would assume that is no longer available as a new part so what would be possible now?
NOS or Repro r not available. If the trans u have is a '35 im sure u have the later designed gear. Believe the 3/8 pocket was added in early '33 to help the HOPOUT. Can only guess they were thinking this pocket would act as an oil reservior to leave a film of oil as the gear moves back and forth thus lessening rocking of the gear

- I can imagine after 80 years the bearings could be worn, would that result in the problem?
If ur engine had wear u can only assume every other mechanical on ur car has wear.New bearings help but ur fighting the wear on the gear teeth.

- The larger spring seemed a simple suggestion to implement, but on reflection is it similar to just holding the trans in gear and causing additional wear?
Checking springs ive taken out of trans i believe the factory was 15# @ 1". Typ its not the spring/ball but the Shaft DETENT Edge thats worn. This can b welded up and recut.

Posted on: 2016/7/7 8:24
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved