Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
62 user(s) are online (38 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 60

dallas, Marvin, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

V8 Valve cover leaks
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Fran56
See User information
Hi Folks,
Does anyone have a sure-fire-no-leak method for attaching the valve covers on a V8?
There have been several mechanics that have attempted this in the 24 years that I have owned my Patrician with eventual failure being the consistent result.
The issue seems to be particularly problematic for the rear of the right valve cover just behind the heater box.
Thanks,
Fran

Posted on: 2016/6/27 12:42
 Top  Print   

Re: V8 Valve cover leaks
Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
I like to use adhesive on the valve cover side and let it tack up, just be sure that your flanges are straight & not dimpled from tightening over over 60 years. The "rails" on the head's sealing surfaces are on the rather low side and there are only 2 modest holes for drain back, one in the rear & one in front, both must be open & clean! Should you ever have the heads off, be sure to smooth & chamfer the openings of the holes.
And be glad you don't have a British car!

Posted on: 2016/6/27 13:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
But British cars are DESIGNED to leak. The reason that no company in Britain builds refrigerators is they CAN'T figure out how to make them leak oil.

Posted on: 2016/6/27 13:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

randy berger wrote:
But British cars are DESIGNED to leak. The reason that no company in Britain builds refrigerators is they CAN'T figure out how to make them leak oil.

Randy, very funny. I have not heard that one before. I thought Lucas had ventured into the refrigerator making business. And you know the rest of the joke...

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2016/6/27 16:00
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
In addition to the good advice 64avanti posted, I also like to smear a light coating of grease on the side of the gasket that will contact the head. This allows the cover to be moved around without harming the gasket. Works great on pan gaskets too.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2016/6/27 16:06
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Fran56
See User information
Thank you for the replies.

64Avanti, Any specific adhesive you could recommend?

JW, I will use the grease on the head surface.

Randy, I enjoy a warm beer occasionally...know where I can buy a Lucas refrigerator ?
Fran

Posted on: 2016/6/28 8:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Any specific adhesive you could recommend?

Apologies for jumping in on 64Avanti; traditional gasket shellac or Permatex #4 have worked well for me. A chronic leak at the corner of the cover suggests a warped cover or distorted bolt hole in the cover flange due to over-tightening, perhaps exacerbated by a plugged oil return hole.

Posted on: 2016/6/28 9:26
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Fran56
See User information
OD, Permatex #4 it is. The engine was rebuilt within the last 8,000 miles, but I will check the oil drain holes, as well as any distortion on the rocker cover itself.

Thanks again for all the information given so generously. Makes Packard ownership a breeze.
Fran

Posted on: 2016/6/29 8:31
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved