Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Generic Tune-up Components??
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
I have a '39 Six and am going through a plethora of problems trying to get the engine to run properly. A newly rebuilt carb improved things a bit, but also led to some distributor issues. Can anybody give me some cross-over numbers on points, condenser and rotor for this engine? I realize I can find tune-up kits online and, if that is the only route open, I'll go with it, but I am in a very rural location and am hoping to be able to cross some numbers over and find something at my local NAPA outlet.

Posted on: 2016/6/27 21:47
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Re: Generic Tune-up Components??
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I only have data for the 110 back to 1941, likely the same as 1939 which you could confirm by checking the parts book which is available on-line here. If AutoLite equipped here are some numbers that were still good at NAPA as of a few years ago for the '41 model. Others will no doubt have more correct or current information.

Points, any of CS 25, 25A or 725A
Condensor, AL -869
Cap, AL 63
Rotor, AL 62

My local NAPA store has a "vintage" look-up section to his catalog so if you have a cooperative counterman you should have no problems getting what you need, NAPA still has a very broad offering for your car.

Posted on: 2016/6/28 9:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

wjames
See User information
I am a Packard newbie to, so take my post with a grain of salt
I have a friend that set my car up and he is very knowledgeable about pre war cars. He say that you should not be in a hurry to change points, especially condenser, and other thing stuff. He say that the good reproductions are hard to find and if it works, points file is a better option than just slapping repro points in. He takes the distributor out and set it up on a machine in his shop then pops it back in, and set the timing good to go. Be really carefully of condensers, if you find a good one keep it. I went thru 4 Chinese condensers before I found a good one ( and they did weird thing (like work perfectly until it got hot)
good luck with her
Will

Posted on: 2016/6/28 10:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
37-39 Packard Six had either Autolite or Delco ignition, you can tell by the tag on the distributor. Probably 95% were Delco which is different from 40-up which were all Autolite.

As for repro ignition parts are not up to snuff we find differently. While all of our points are NOS or NORS, in 50+ years we really have not gotten any returns after selling 20,000 sets. We do sell a mix of NOS, NORS and current condensers, caps and rotors in large quantity we have had practically zero returns for being defective. The use of a point file can produce perfectly fine operation but keeping a condenser indefinitely can leave you stranded on the road. Condensers deteriorate mostly from heat and while a 50 year old NOS condenser will give good service, one that has had 10,000 miles in high under hood temperatures may have a limited life. replacing it is cheap insurance

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Products

Posted on: 2016/6/28 10:59
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved