Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
64 user(s) are online (37 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 64

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1937 topshift transmission rebuild issues new guy
Just popping in
Just popping in

miller91
See User information
Grew up in a junkyard (oh the cars we saw come and go...)I have had the trans since I was 16, 38 years, and after keeping it safe all this time, water got in the box and mixed with the lube. Most of the gears are salvageable and merely stained. I put it on the bench and tore her down using the manuals (and a fair bit of experience)as my guide.

I have laid out everything tagged and bagged ready for cleaning and detailing, and ultimately reassembly.

The big snag and worst damage is to the mainshaft of course, which is an assembly and I doubt I can save due to corrosion of synchro ring and bearings. It could make a good core for Kanter or someone to rebuild, about 650, bit rich for me at the moment.

Do other mainshafts cross reference or any advice about reconditioning? I feel I owe it to the old gearbox to try and save it, after failing to keep it safe, plus I enjoy the project.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2016/6/28 19:13
 Top  Print 

Re: 1937 topshift transmission rebuild issues new guy
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day miller91,
to PackardInfo.

But sorry I can't help with the mainshaft, although there must be someone here who has a spare they'd be willing to part with? Or maybe the Flackmaster, '37 parts Guru, will see this post and respond?

And if, by the merest of chances, you have a Packard to wrap around the trans I invite you to include it in the Packard Owner's Registry!

Posted on: 2016/6/28 20:26
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
35-37 Six and 120 trans are identical, everything interchanges. 38-up virtually nothing does

Posted on: 2016/6/28 20:36
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Darrin180
See User information
The 1935 to 1938 Six and 120 trans. are the same. The 1939 trans. was redesigned to handle the power of the 320 super 8 which was used in the 120 body in 39, and the new 356 coming in 1940...

Posted on: 2016/6/29 0:52
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

miller91
See User information
Thanks for the responses and welcome.

The site is terrific, as I downloaded all the service manuals and tech bulletins regarding this transmission.

I suppose in the end I can see if the mainshaft core is viable to be reconditioned, of course I peruse eBay to see if I can get lucky. Hoping to avoid the 650 expenditure from Kanter or Max Merritt, but if I have to pony up I will.

So far things are cleaning up nicely, but boy, what is up with the universal joint nut? I know Packard made a special thin wall socket to get these off, what a pain in the you-know-what! Can you adapt a modern u-joint carrier to these boxes? Jeez...

Posted on: 2016/6/29 8:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don 37
See User information
Not all parts interchange between 115s and 120 for 1937 for sure. The 115 cane was painted whereas the 120 was chromed. I have 7 of those. 35-38 trannys and have some mainshafts removed. PM me if interested.

Posted on: 2016/6/29 8:45
1936 and 1937 120's Are what we like best. But we also like all other Packards too.

Don 37'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Correction- The Packard parts book gives one part number for transmission assembly from '35 120 through '38 16th series six and 120/Eight. All parts interchange from '35-'38 with the exception of the shifter cane but not because there is a difference in finish. From what I see it is the relationship of the dash, seat and cane that may require a different cane.

As a unit without the cane all '35-'38's interchange.

Posted on: 2016/6/29 9:12
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

WillieIngerson
See User information
I sacrificed a box end wrench for that universal nut. I ground it down thinner to fit in there.

Willie

Posted on: 2016/6/30 8:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

WillieIngerson wrote:
I sacrificed a box end wrench for that universal nut. I ground it down thinner to fit in there.

Willie

Tight clearance on the flange nut indicates a transmission from a 6 cylinder car which used a smaller u-joint than the 8 cylinder models.
Outside width of the flange is approximately 3-1/4" for the 6 and 3-3/4" for the 8.

Posted on: 2016/6/30 12:58
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

miller91
See User information
Yeah what a pain the ass! Maybe I'll look for an 8 flange...what a bear to get off.

Posted on: 2016/6/30 16:21
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved