Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
95 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 93

BigKev, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

The unrestored '34 Twelve Dietrich convertible sedan seen at the Centennial
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

So as not to hijack the '56 Caribbean 5699-1001 thread and to follow up on my recollection of the unrestored '34 Twelve Dietrich convertible sedan at the 1999 Centennial.
To reiterate:
"Also at the Centennial: The shocker was the '34 Twelve 1108 V-windshield Dietrich convertible sedan in ratty, preserved condition owned by a bearded fellow in the white hard hat. He seemed to be engaged in serious conversations with various obviously well-healed fellows in hot pursuit of that ultimate prize"....."I wouldn't have missed the Centennial for the world!"

BDC asked: "What happened to that 34? Any pictures from the centennial on that car?"

James from Kanter Auto Products responded: "34 dietrich custom mystery solved"........"This car was owned for many many years by a gentleman from central New Jersey named Matthews, as far as we know it was the only 7 pass custom Dietrich conv sedan built. He was a long time Kanter Auto customer. Fred recalls that Ralph Marano of NJ bought and fully restored it"

BDC asked: "Is this the 34 Dietrich you're talking about?"

Owen_Dyneto replied: "Maybe, maybe not - can't tell. The car as I recall it from the Centennial was green and apparently had a VERY well worn engine that smoked like a mosquito exterminator. I'm sure it shows up in the background in some of my pictures of the Centennial."

James from Kanter "The picture above is not of the car. As of the last CCCA roster it is still owned by Ralph."

BDC replied: "The car in the picture is Ralph's."

Tim Cole added: "As I recall the Mathews 34 Dietrich was white with the bullet hood ornament and a black top. I saw it several times and it drew a lot of attention. More than a restored car to be sure. It was better left alone."

Finally, as it appeared at the Centennial and at Hershey 2006. Its difficult to tell from the '06 photo, but it has the longer quarter section to accommodate the seven passenger seating, which detract from the wonderful proportions somewhat.

Steve

Attach file:

jpg  (102.28 KB)
409_57745aff91a6d.jpg 1024X643 px

jpg  (115.34 KB)
409_57745b32b060e.jpg 1024X634 px

Posted on: 2016/6/29 18:38
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Re: The unrestored '34 Twelve Dietrich convertible sedan seen at the Centennial
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
It's easy to distinguish this car in old photos because I think it is the only '34 that doesn't have the elongated hood.

Posted on: 2016/6/29 19:08
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I got a few more pictures of it that I took when I got a personal tour:

Attach file:

jpg  (45.74 KB)
5061_57746b87b3db5.jpg 720X480 px

jpg  (35.53 KB)
5061_57746b9244fb6.jpg 720X480 px

jpg  (41.71 KB)
5061_57746b9a649d9.jpg 720X480 px

Posted on: 2016/6/29 19:45
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Anyone know why the production HOOD ?
Early '34 ?
'33 with 34 update ?

Posted on: 2016/6/30 11:43
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
One thing left out here is that the owner of this car at the time DROVE it to Warren from New Jersey. It wasn't trailered and no one followed him in a modern car either. I think he even had a minor mechanical issue along the way and he fixed it himself using his own ingenuity and skill. I believe he had owned it since at least the 1960's. I also remember he had it running at one point on the show field and someone said, "oh, he's going to start it up." The person next to him replied "it IS running." It was that quiet you couldn't hear it idling. That meet represented the end of an era in some ways. A lot of owners who brought cars had owned them since the 1950's or 60's, and the Warren 1999 Centennial Meet was their last hurrah. That was 17 years ago now. How many are no longer with us?

While the subject car here certainly received an authentic restoration in good colors, part of me liked it the way it was too. Just a driver condition car in mostly original condition save for the decades old, slapped on white paint job. It seemed more like a real car in 1999. One you could get in and drive and have fun with, which is exactly what the previous owner did with it. Now it's just another perfectly restored car that's part of a mega collection, trailered from concours to concours and accumulating no miles. The guy with the hard hat is the one who really enjoyed the car.

Posted on: 2016/6/30 21:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
About the only positive thing I can say about some of these restorations is they provide a livelihood for some of my old time associates. One particular phrase that makes me puke is "restored from a low mileage original". Why not put some fresh paint on the Mona Lisa, or some new varnish on a Stradivarius?

I'm having more fun in Detroit with these over electronic new cars then I did working on antiques and dealing with their peculiar owners.

Posted on: 2016/7/1 8:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Tim, I entirely echo your sentiments on "restored from a low mileage original". It's really only in the last decade that major clubs have provided recognition of such cars and much of any incentive to keep them so. In many cases these cars are our only source of reliable info on what is authentic and what is not.

Posted on: 2016/7/1 9:29
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved