Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
101 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Looking for the "Perfect" Packard Engine Paint
Just popping in
Just popping in

miller91
See User information
This Packard engine color (see photo) makes want to cry it's so gorgeous. I know Hirsch, Kanter, etc. offer engine enamels, but it's pretty hard from color charts and photos to pin the right color down. I m painting a '37 tranny and want to do it once and right. Any experiences preferences etc.? The original paint had been covered by a maroon, and the traces were hard to determine.

Thanks!

Attach file:

jpg  (90.80 KB)
136215_57758f92137a0.jpg 1000X667 px

Posted on: 2016/6/30 16:31
 Top  Print 

Re: Looking for the "Perfect" Packard Engine Paint
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Below is a photo of original Packard green and spray card of Hirsch Packard green. I have lots and lots of these samples and have complete faith in Bill's paint.

However, it is very responsive to differences in preparation. So you can alter your results by the type and color of primer and how much base you use. A lot of people criticize Bill's paint and declare it is wrong. I think that is crap. As well these Packard "experts" are so busy burying original cars and making up their own history that authenticity is a myth.

So if you experiment with the base you may be able to create the tone you want.

Attach file:

jpg  (12.24 KB)
373_5775cb399852b.jpg 600X400 px

Posted on: 2016/6/30 20:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Age and heat change the pigments in oil based paints. Something painted in 1937 has aged 80 years and been through 1000's of heat cycles so I doubt it is the same color it originally was. Packard used a green from the 20's at least until 1952 as my '52 factory show car had an original green engine.

It is my guess that Packard did not have a very tight spec on the color as it was not an external appearance item like Packard Blue. My guess is that there are dozens if not hundreds of correct original shades, Checker had over 240 shades of taxicab yellow all bearing the same name. Usually the lowest bidder got the contract.

There may be a paint that is 100% identical to 1934 but it may not be the same as 1935, then again it may be.

Paint it something close and keep in mind that I don't think you can't "match" a color paint from a computer photo, too many electronic "interpretations" along the way.

The time you save fretting over the color might best be spent driving and enjoying your car with the hood closed

Posted on: 2016/7/2 15:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Obviously I am not going send parts around the country for people to inspect. Especially when they don't belong to me.
I believe I have already stated the paint is very responsive to preparation. Nobody living can state without equivocation just what the correct color is. However, I have examined dozens of parts and am compelled to conclude that Bill's product is a good one.

None of these restored cars have an accurate paint job because the original was quickly sprayed and shipped. Packard didn't put on surface primers and block sand cylinder heads to perfection.

What I don't understand is why everybody is knocking that paint when they can offer no contradictory evidence to support their claims. I approached this issue without bias using the best evidence available. The same arguments that people use to criticize Bill can be used against their own assertions.

Posted on: 2016/7/3 7:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I see every now and then unrestored twelves with dark grey engine colors. Did some come from the factory without green paint? Last month a 32 twelve roadster that sold at mecum was not green, and now I see a 35 twelve believed to be original that's the same way.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/packard/twelve/1874389.html

Posted on: 2016/9/16 7:32
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Never saw a grey 12 but that doesn't prove anything. If heard many off color stories but never an original off color Packard engine. My GUESS is that all Packards from the 20's through 1947 were green.

Posted on: 2016/9/16 7:43
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It looks to me like it may have been green at one time. There appears to be dark green splotches on the side of the head. With the other changes visible I wonder if there was some misguided degreasing attempt or something environmental or perhaps just age caused the green paint to flake off or change color.

Posted on: 2016/9/16 8:32
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The 1931 Twin Six Front Wheel Drive prototype has a gray painted engine. Granted, it is a one-off and may not apply to others.

(o[]o)

Attach file:

jpg  (64.70 KB)
565_57dc0249298e3.jpg 800X533 px

Posted on: 2016/9/16 9:31
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
In the WORLD OF PACKARD ive learned never to say never. As with all companies they were in business to get them out of the door and if they ran out of PACKARD GREEN ENGINE PAINT they werent going to shut the plant down.

Posted on: 2016/9/16 9:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information

Posted on: 2016/9/16 10:11
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved