Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 166

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Fuel sender & 12V conversion on a 1953 Clipper.
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The horns will work fine on 12v, you'll just need to take the cover off and adjust them slightly to the proper tone.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 12:45
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Lex
See User information
Quote:
The horns will work fine on 12v, you'll just need to take the cover off and adjust them slightly to the proper tone.

Simple enough. Coupled with the new starter and instrument voltage regulator, there's no need for any 6V circuits on the car. Excellent.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 13:28
[u
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You existing instrument voltage regulator will work just fine. It takes 6v-15v input and outputs 5v for the gauges.

I used my original one on my car, and everything works just fine. If you look at the part numbers you'll also see the 51-54 instrument regulator is the same as the instrument 55/56 regulator. Ford used the same one into 70s.

You can use a 6v harness on a 12v conversion, but not a 12v harness on a 6v conversion. 6v, half the voltage, but usually twice the amperage. Hence why the wiring on a 6v car is thicker generally than on a 12v car.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 13:49
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
If you look at the part numbers you'll also see the 51-54 instrument regulator is the same as the instrument 55/56 regulator.

We must have different parts manuals. The way mine reads is 54-56 used the same regulator and 51-3 used another. The 54 ambulance used the 51-3 version which is interesting but IIRC, that may be because I think I read the ambulance dash carried over from the 53s. Question is what is the difference in regulators they would decide to change -- capacity, voltage, mounting or ??

Attach file:

jpg  (72.97 KB)
209_579666076d273.jpg 1920X396 px

Posted on: 2016/7/25 14:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I knew the 54 was the same at the 55/56, so I assumed the 51-53 would also be the same.

Maybe it was superseded or something. Can't think of what would be different between the two. But, showing the 54 (6v) and the 55/56 (12v) use that same one, at least gets the point across that those 'Chopper" style Voltage Regulars are not too picky about the input voltage above 6v.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 14:24
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also, the '54 Supper Clippers used the '53 dash cluster, not the '54 Special/Deluxe "sweeping" cluster. So I would assume either they used the '53 IVR, or they worked just fine on the 54-56 IVR.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 14:26
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Agreed the 54-6 regulators are not particular and am not saying the 51-3 won't work on 12v too. I just don't know what is different but do find it interesting Packard made the change for whatever reason while running what is essentially the same gauges. Hopefully someone who has done a conversion will chime in with solid info that the 51-3 regulators will work on 12v without issue.

Better yet would be if someone knows if there is a significant difference between the regulators. I am thinking it may be capacity for a third gauge. IIRC, one of the books said the grand plan was to have the 55 changes done in time for 54 cars but something wasn't ready and things got pushed back. If that were the case and they had the ordering done for a 54 introduction it might be as simple as being able to run the third gauge on senior cars.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 14:43
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Lex
See User information
Thanks for the tips, Kev. The car shows signs of wiring modifications for purposes I haven't figured out yet, so I don't know exactly how it deviates from the factory wiring diagrams. Coupled with a new system voltage and aged cotton insulation I don't trust, I'm planning to replace every single conductor on the car with modern TXL wire, a central relay and fuse center, textile loom, and welding cable for the high-amperage connections. All documented for easy diagnosis.

It sounds like the instruments will be good with the factory regulator, but I'll bench-test its output on a 14.4V feed to be sure. If it doesn't kick out 5V, I'll go with a modernized IC or a Ford regulator.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 14:47
[u
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If it doesn't kick out 5V, I'll go with a modernized IC or a Ford regulator.

It is a pulsing output between 0v and 12v (or 6v) with a frequency on duration to give an average level of a 5v output. On most meters the pulsing will be hard to read as 5v with an ordinary meter. Here is the output as viewed with a scope and what the regulator looks like. The heater bends the bimetal strip to work the contacts. How fast it opens and closes the contacts depends on load and voltage in.

Attach file:

jpg  (39.85 KB)
209_57966e431a1d7.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (21.56 KB)
209_57966e4d3b450.jpg 640X381 px

Posted on: 2016/7/25 14:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Lex
See User information
I am constantly amazed at how different these old beasts are from the fuel injection and transistor-based circuits I'm used to. Now I'm wondering if the gauges would run on a "real" 5VDC instead of the pulse width modulated system voltage. No real need for the information, since they'll clearly work on the pulsed voltage. Just curious. Might test it, but I'm reluctant to risk rare components.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 14:58
[u
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved