Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
92 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 92

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Fuel sender & 12V conversion on a 1953 Clipper.
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The gauges being analog can use one of the "Chopper" IVR just fine, but you wouldn't want to use one of those with a digital circuit (like digital gauge). If you hooked that IVR up to an analog voltage meter it would show 5 volts. Hook it up to a digital multimeter and you would see it jumping between 0 and input voltage depending the scanning speed of the digital meter. The analog meter being much slower is response time is getting the 5v averaged output

Think of it this way, you can't dim an LED bulb, like you can a traditional light bulb. They are either on or off (binary). But cycle it on and off fast enough it will look solid but dimmer depending on how fast the on-off-on cycle is.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 15:30
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Geez Lex, I am about as unmillenial as they get as I am happily running 7 different cars quite happily on 6 volts, points, generators, the whole nine yards. But I do know from real live experience that I can bolt any pre 55 Packard starter into any pre 55 Packard bellhousing (excepting the big senior stuff from the thirties) and happily drive off to Wally's to get a cup of coffee. That is how I know that if the gentleman's starter will fit 49-51 if will also work just fine on a 53.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 15:30
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Lex
See User information
Quote:
Geez Lex, I am about as unmillenial as they get as I am happily running 7 different cars quite happily on 6 volts, points, generators, the whole nine yards.

The main reason I'm making the 12V switch is that I plan to road trip this car pretty extensively, and I want to be able to roll up to NAPA or the average neighborhood pick-a-part and get more or less anything I need. The old-school crowd, for whom I have tremendous respect, will be glad to know that I'm sticking with points ignition, because hey, NAPA still stocks the parts!

Quote:
...I do know from real live experience that I can bolt any pre 55 Packard starter into any pre 55 Packard bellhousing (excepting the big senior stuff from the thirties)...

I am willing to bet $220.50 plus shipping that you're right.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 19:18
[u
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
"Hopefully someone who has done a conversion will chime in with solid info that the 51-3 regulators will work on 12v without issue."

Yes, the 51-53 instrument voltage regulators work just fine on 12v, and operate just as demonstrated above. 12v in, 5v out, gauges work.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 22:14
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jason75
See User information
@HA- This is very helpful info and very timely for my upcoming project!

Posted on: 2019/6/14 4:48
1951 200 Deluxe Sedan Valiant Green Metallic
Vehicle #:2462 8372
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved