Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 162

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Installation of an override gear from 1951 Mayfair 250 in 1936 One-Twenty
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Oberfranke
See User information
Does anyone know whether it is possible installing the override gear of a 1951 Mayfair 250 in a 1936 One-Twenty?
The changes to the propeller shaft would probably not a big problem. But fits the transmission output shaft? Probably I need a different clutch housing?
Greetings from Germany and sorry for my bad english.
Gerd

Attach file:

jpg  (116.45 KB)
138128_5793565b92363.jpg 1599X896 px

jpg  (108.85 KB)
138128_5793566675838.jpg 896X1599 px

Posted on: 2016/7/23 6:35
 Top  Print 

Re: Installation of an override gear from 1951 Mayfair 250 in 1936 One-Twenty
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
It will bolt to your housing, and the shaft will fit in your clutch. I don't know if there is enough space in the X of your chassis for it to fit. Then you have to think about the schaltung. The top cover from the '36 will probably fit, but the forks will have to be altered to pass to the newer gears.

Posted on: 2016/7/23 10:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Ross, The 51 is a column shift right? How would you change it to a floor shift?

Posted on: 2016/7/23 10:09
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I got the column shift to floor shift conversion instructions from Peter Packard on this site. I solved the X frame issue by making some plates and and cut the X frame to make it removable on my 38 120. I think the frame is shorter on the 36 but you could most likely do something similar. The O/D makes a world of difference driving on today's modern roads.

Posted on: 2016/7/23 10:55
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Gerd (Oberfranke), welcome to PackardInfo.com!

Dein Englisch sieht besser aus als meines.

Quote:
I got the column shift to floor shift conversion instructions from Peter Packard on this site...

Phil (Phils38cpe), thanks.

-> This way to the above mentioned conversion instructions.

Posted on: 2016/7/23 14:43
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Gerd (Oberfranke),
Also like to add my to PackardInfo.

And invite you include your '36 120 in the Packard Owner's Registry!

Posted on: 2016/7/23 16:46
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
First, the input shaft collar, and the throwout bearing are different on a 36, so that would have to be changed to the later style throwout bearing. Not difficult.
Second, the output flange definitely is different on the 51-54 unit. Definitely would have to be changed, likely best to adapt to a modern flange for both the transmission and the driveshaft. Moderately difficult, mostly because of the reasonable level of research required to identify what would be available to you. If you need further consult on this, please reply as I have one of these 51-54 units here that I really should resolve this for. Modifying the driveshaft should be otherwise straightforward for a driveline shop...
Third, the frame on your car will definitely have to be opened up to accept the R11. I've seen it done many times. Moderately difficult, and then tight quarters to work in.
Fourth, and the biggest challenge is the 51-54 transmission case is not drilled and tapped to mount to your transmission mounts. Can be drilled and tapped, plenty of metal there to work with, and also I would suggest a custom crossmember to take advantage of the 51-54 bottom mount, in particular so we don't have to confuse you with discussions of the infamous snubber. This is definitely getting towards the difficult rating, but certainly can be done.
Fifth, it is strongly recommended to properly clean and service this transmission before installing - 60 year old gear oil is notorious for being too sticky by now, and without proper lubrication, these overdrive sections can turn on you in a bad way. Also maybe with the guts out (lighter being a relative term), you will be only slightly more comfortable assessing the required frame modifications.
Sixth, Electrical requirements are pretty straightforward and available, but you will still be fabricating a custom harness. The accelerator linkage does not have an accommodation for a kickdown switch - which is otherwise very easily wired, associated with the accelerator pedal, or dashboard mounted...its just a momentary interrupt switch.
Finally, a custom speedometer cable will be required, simply a BW overdrive on one end, and 36 speedo on the other, length as required. Speedometer will not be accurate, but GPS readings and tape on the face of the speedometer will suffice.
Oh, and adapting the shifter top falls into the moderately difficult strata only because extreme care and patience is required.

Welcome to the Church of the Holy Overdrive, amen to Autobahn speeds.

Guscha - please translate/assist as required, and by the way, I am awaiting further information on the Germany 2017 meet....need to make my chauffeuring reservations.

Posted on: 2016/7/23 18:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
After reading the gospel according to Flackmaster, I'm wondering if you would be better off with an aftermarket overdrive like this:

https://www.gearvendors.com/custom.html

Posted on: 2016/7/23 20:57
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I do believe the gear vendors units run $2000-$3000. For that kind of money go with a 5 speed Tremec

Posted on: 2016/7/23 21:08
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
... Guscha - please translate/assist as required ...

Gerd (Oberfranke), gib mir Bescheid, sofern Du ?bersetzungshilfe ben?tigen solltest.

Quote:
... and by the way, I am awaiting further information on the Germany 2017 meet....need to make my chauffeuring reservations.

David (flackmaster), -> this webpage claims to have first-hand knowledge. The event seems to be at planning stage. No detailed information currently available.

Posted on: 2016/7/23 23:24
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved