Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Solid footbrake on 1948 22nd Series Touring Sedan (RHD)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Hi Long time since I had to visit but this is the story so far :

Car has been stood but started regularly for several months. Yesterday she was started and I tested the gears going in OK, tested the clutch and then the handbrake against the clutch OK, BUT the brake pedal was SOLID no movement at all.

She is stored in a VERY confined space so can't move her to test the foot brake. Is it normal for there to be no movement in this situation whatsoever or am I just worrying for no reason.

Best regards to all Michael

Posted on: 2016/7/24 1:10
 Top  Print 

Re: Solid footbrake on 1948 22nd Series Touring Sedan (RHD)
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It should not be solid but rather in the same condition you left it when you drove the car in.

The first question is if the car moves. I would start the car and place it in gear. Try to move forward or backwards at least a few inches. If it does not, or there is considerable resistance, there could be something on the hydraulic side such as contaminated fluid which has swelled the rubber so the pistons can't move. In that scenario anything swelling rubber to the point the pedal couldn't move would have probably applied the brakes. If so getting it free from the storage space could be a challenge if the car has to be dragged out. You might have to crawl under and access a bleed screw to see if relieving pressure would free the brakes enough to roll it out.

If the car appears to move normally for at least a few inches then the mechanical linkage portion of the brake between the pedal and master would be suspect. Perhaps something has rusted or corroded. If you have a steel master piston and water got in the rear of cylinder thru the rod boot the piston might have rusted in place. Another possibility is something came loose, fell and is blocking and preventing pedal movement.

In either case I am not sure how you can determine exactly what is needed to fix the problem without moving the car from the storage space.

Posted on: 2016/7/24 9:32
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Whilst the the handbrake is on the footbrake might feel very solid. If the pedal will not move at all then something has seized. As Howard suggests, try moving the car.

Posted on: 2016/7/24 10:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Thanks for your replies - been there the other morning did as you said - rocked on the clutch several times (originally not at all as I didn't know what to do and didn't want to damage anything)- at first no movement (handbrake off of course) then instead of first I tried reverse and she moved a few inches - I kept doing forward then back 5-6 times each way then took the bull by the horns and out of the car port we went then up and down the drive. Seems something had just got stuck and your "Tricks" worked wonders. Many Thanks.

Good job too as she was booked in to be taken to Berkshire she's to be sold on S or R - anyone interested you can view the car athttp://www.pioneer-automobiles.co.uk/Packard 22 Series Touring Sedan.1607.html

Attach file:

jpg  (116.06 KB)
1329_579a34f5c4c6a.jpg 958X719 px

jpg  (123.76 KB)
1329_579a351fb9fda.jpg 815X612 px

Posted on: 2016/7/28 3:49
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Michael,

Your link didn't work for me but this one should.

When your Packard is sold could you please advise so your Registry entry can be updated?

And.....did you see this thread?

Posted on: 2016/7/28 5:50
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...Exported from USA as a kit, built at Packard assembly plant in South Africa...

Michael (meaarch), interesting facts! Would you be so kind to expand on a little bit?

Posted on: 2016/8/2 23:39
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved