Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
167 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 167

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: V-8 oil pumps
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
While that website had an imbedded virus many months ago, it was cleaned and thoroughly searched immediately. There is nothing unsafe about it now. I think that warning is from an outdated infected site database stemming from that period.

Craig

Posted on: 2016/7/25 16:33
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
What I've found interesting about those motors is when I took apart a blown engine the culprit was number 8 rod bearing which is closest to the oil pump. That's a little counterintuitive. The Super 8 will send number 2 rod through the hood, thus the old timers always trying to crank up oil pressure to the point it wears out the timing and oil pump drive gears.

The theory about the good line and the bad line has also been used on the 359 straight 8.

Perhaps there is a casting problem that causes an internal leak. The way to find that is to block off the passages and put the thing in a water tank. But better hire a machinist with a lathe to do it. The Olds pump fix supports such a notion as it simply throws more oil at the problem.

I don't know where Packard got the idea they were the world's greatest motors. Heck the Winton 2 stroke cycle diesel was better than anything Packard did. The diesel radial was impressive, the twin six was great, and the speedster eight a virtual perpetual motion machine, but the rest was not that extraordinary. I can tell of exploits with the Caddy 12 that put Packard to shame.

Here in Detroit we see this kind of stuff all the time. The engineers come down and look at accelerometer readings and scrap the stuff. They don't put out a crazy memo telling dealers to switch to 20w-50 oil, install a Packard oil pump, run a quart extra, or start blocking off passages.

From Packard's standpoint I don't think they had the money to fix those motors.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 17:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I got that same message the other night on your web site. I too run Windows 10 with AVG virus software.

John

Posted on: 2016/7/25 18:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Ptv Quote:
I got that same message the other night on your web site. I too run Windows 10 with AVG virus software.

OK, go there are your own peril. I'm telling you it's good and safe. I've been programming since 1965 and doing websites since they were invented.

Craig

Posted on: 2016/7/25 22:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Sounds like it must be a Windows 10 quirk....

Posted on: 2016/7/26 10:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Now, after more than fifty years of experience with Packard V8 oil pumps, I feel they were designed with three major flaws.

1. First and worst, having a vacuum pump on the bottom pushed the top of the pump above the pan oil level. Since air sucks easier than oil, it can be pulled down the shaft and entrained in the oil.

2. The driveshaft is a long, floppy affair and driven by a double-D shaft joint at the top and a fork-and-blade joint at the bottom which might cause oscillation and wear.

Mopar big blocks are also tall and they have a bronze bushing pressed in the block to support the driveshaft. I'm going to try that on my next build.

3. The body of the pump in which the driveshaft runs does not have enough height to properly support the driveshaft. When the oscillations from the driveshaft wear the pump body funnel-shaped, air can be sucked in (1. & 2. above.)

I've bored the pump body oversize, pressed in a diesel valve guide, made a 1/2" thick bottom plate with a bearing recess and thus doubled the bearing area.

I've got a box of NOS '55 Cadillac oil pump rebuild kits, and the gears are dimensionally identical to Packards, other than the shaft diameter. Why they'd make the two otherwise the same, but change the shaft diameter .005" is a mystery.

When the Packard pump is rebuilt as I describe, it works as it should. The problem is, all the hand work costs more than CNC machining an adapter and using an Oldsmobile pump.

I've done a few for Packard V8 owners who want to keep their vacuum pump.

jack vines

Posted on: 2016/7/26 11:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
little early,

but I have around 100 miles on my one piece shaft, no pressure problems,

Had the dist out and in, no problems,

I think a needle thrust washer on bottom of drive gear would be better, so it doesn't wear into plate.

This is a jack vines pump, with my mods..

Posted on: 2016/7/26 14:06
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Craig, just for your info this is what I see at work.
Malware error.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (88.50 KB)
1003_5797cecdea90d.jpg 1920X1359 px

Posted on: 2016/7/26 15:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Wesley:

Thanks for the screen grab. Notice it says "Trusted Source Reputation..." Like I said before, if you click "View Source on this page and you know what you are looking at, you will see NOTHING WRONG. I believe the "reputation" part is now wrong and in an outdated database somewhere. Maybe you can click on "wrongly blocked...click on the Request Review link" to have them reinspect it. I'd appreciate it.

Craig

Posted on: 2016/7/26 17:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Craig, I would but they want to know how this is work related. So I tried IE 11 at work and just going to this linkhttp://1956packardpanther.com/PV8C/PV8C_OHVOPA.html
got me the following error.
Wes
I forgot to say that FireFox got tohttp://1956packardpanther.com/PV8C/PV8C_Index.html before I got FedEx blocking your page.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (65.50 KB)
1003_57991a78b2b8a.jpg 1920X1359 px

Posted on: 2016/7/27 15:33
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved