Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

electric wiper motor 6V
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Steve Miles
See User information
Anyone know where/if I can get a 6V wiper conversion for a 1951 24th series car? Current vac wipers don't any more and living in England that's kind of unfortunate.

Posted on: 2016/7/26 8:46
 Top  Print 

Re: electric wiper motor 6V
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The original vacuum wiper system used a booster pump section on the fuel pump to maintain vacuum during periods of hard acceleration and the system gave excellent performance. You might consider having the vacuum motor refreshed and the booster pump checked before embarking on some sort of conversion - you may be surprised at the fine performance vacuum wiper systems in peak condition can provide.

Posted on: 2016/7/26 9:15
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't believe there is a 6v wiper motor made by anyone. Newport Engineeringhttp://www.newportwipers.com does sell a 12v motor kit which is model specific and will fit in the place of the vacuum motor. Those kits also need Newports 6 to 12v inverter installed to function in a 6v car but therein lies a question or issue. Another problem is the switch on the Packard is a mechanical cable to work a slide valve on the vacuum motor whereas the new motor will require an electric switch. I don't believe the switch will fit in the shroud where the existing operator knob is located so you will need to figure a decent place to install the new switch.

On the Newport inverter, for many years the inverter was listed on the options page and part of their website still advises the need and directs you to the options page. The inverter was taken off that options page some time back when one of the mfgs ceased production and for a casual look at the page appears to be unavailable -- however there is an inverter still shown on the new products page. I think it will take an inquiry to see if inverters are available or if not, what options are available. Almost all inverters typically sold for solid state radios, cell phone chargers etc WILL NOT work with inductive loads such as motors so it has to be a special motor capable unit. Several companies making that type inverter have ceased production or decided to limit the availability due to so much misuse with people exceeding the capacity and burning them out then making warranty claims.

For a lot less money and effort you can get your existing vacuum motor rebuilt by Fickenhttp://www.wiperman.com As long as the vacuum section of fuel pump is functional and no leaks in tubing it will be every bit as good as the electric -- maybe more so because the speed is more variable than the fixed two speeds on the electric motor..

Posted on: 2016/7/26 9:26
Howard
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Steve Miles
See User information
Thanks Howard - have emailed your contact and await a reply! I'm in England so not as easy as it might be but we'll maybe try it. Cheers
Steve

Posted on: 2016/7/26 9:51
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

zougeride
See User information
Steve Miles, back in the 1960's one could buy 6 volt motors such as you need for your wipers from, I think this is correct, Massey Ferguson Tractor Company.

You might take a survey of tractor companies and see if anyone of them still uses 6 volt windshield wiper motors.

Back in those days my father bought such motors by the gross to use in his product Hole Checker Anchor Winches for small sports boats.

Good luck with your search

Posted on: 2016/8/16 17:45
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Steve Miles
See User information
thanks for that! I did discover that older Vw Beetles had 6V wiper motors but the same problem arises - building a linkage to make them work with the Packard wipers.
I got in touch with "The Wiperman" and he had a NOS wiper motor for my car which I have ordered - hopefully with a new motor the vac wipers might work!

All the best
Steve

Posted on: 2016/8/16 17:54
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

zougeride
See User information
In an old issue of Cars and Parts, a great late lamented lost magazine, I seem to remember a windshield wiper kit with motor which took the place of the vac wipers.

Sorry to not remember the company, but do remember the article. Why not Google the product???

If I have anymore brain crackles on the subject I will write.

Zougeride

Posted on: 2016/8/24 9:45
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There used to be electric kits for 6v cars sold by JC Whitney and others but that was years ago. I installed one of those kits in a friends prewar sometime in the 70s or early 80s because his vacuum wipers didn't work. Vacuum parts even then were all but NA and long before the internet letting everyone know about wiperman. I might even have his original vacuum motor on a shelf somewhere. The kit was OK but IMO, don't think any of those Whitney kits were of the greatest quality.

I don't believe there is much of anything made for 6v cars anymore. That is the case for 6v air conditioner clutches and blower motors and AFAIK, the Newport 12v wiper is the only drop in kit made to fit older cars.

Posted on: 2016/8/24 10:11
Howard
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Steve Miles
See User information
Thanks for the added info chaps! I'd heard that JCW had done conversion units a while ago but I can find no trace now, now any other supplier except New Port. I have to ask why a company like that would only offer 12V un tis for cars that were all 6V originally? I know some folks convert to 12V but I see no need for that, I want my car as original as possible! therefore the NOS wiper motor (now fitted and working superbly) was the ultimate answer.

Wiperman it would seem can rebuild almost any old vac wiper motor, so I'd suggest that's the best answer for most people too.

Steve

Posted on: 2016/8/24 10:34
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved