Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
175 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 174

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1953 Clipper hood release lever
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Lex
See User information
One of the my Packard's minor problems is a broken hood release lever. As you can see below, the lever cracked off just ahead of the rivet. I've drilled it out to release the lever and sandblasted the latch plate, revealing a crack I'll weld up. The plate appears to be bent downward significantly at the leading edge, so I'll probably hammer it back up a bit to close the crack slightly and hopefully return it to a shape closer to the factory form. Planning to turn a new solid rivet, and more importantly, fabricate a new lever. The catch is, I don't know exactly how they looked from the factory. I'm fine with an imperfect match, but I want to at least get close to the factory routing and latch position. Does anyone have a photo of their latch arm available as a reference? Can't find anything clear in the service manuals. Bonus points if you don't mind going to the trouble of removing it from your car for a clearer photo.

Attach file:

jpg  (16.72 KB)
136309_579b97375b086.jpg 300X238 px

jpg  (153.00 KB)
136309_579b973cdc2a4.jpg 1920X1421 px

jpg  (13.03 KB)
136309_579b97424b448.jpg 300X214 px

Posted on: 2016/7/29 12:57
[u
 Top  Print 

Re: 1953 Clipper hood release lever
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Those assys were the same 51-4 and I would think one off a parts car should be easily found and shouldn't be too expensive. You might check with Gerry at Packards Southwest gerry@packardssouthwest.com and see if he has something.

Posted on: 2016/7/29 13:04
Howard
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I'm sure either Ross or Gerry has a pile of them.

Posted on: 2016/7/29 13:10
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Lex
See User information
I'll check with Gerry. Much as I like having an excuse to fab some parts, if the price is right, I'll cheerfully save the time on something this minor. Thanks!

Posted on: 2016/7/29 21:23
[u
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved