Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
39 user(s) are online (27 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 38

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 22 »

Re: 1941 Packard Clipper Eight Special Sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe we have established your Clipper is a 42. I don't recall seeing a good photo of the 42 Clipper dash anywhere but possibly a 42 owners manual might have something. You can buy a reprint of the 42 Clipper manual at the PAC store. There is no photo in the 46-7 manual but there is a description of the indicator lights, location and what they do. You might download that manual from here as a stopgap since the dash and function of the indicator lights is identical. The only difference might be in the speedometer needle. I believe the 42 pointer was illuminated whereas the later one was not.

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/47Manual.pdf

The 46 data book might also give you some information.

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/46DataBook.pdf

There is a reprint of the 41 Clipper data book supplement available from Regress Press from their ebay store. That has a photo of the 41 dash but won't be the same dash layout as your 42.

There is an excellent illustration of the 42 switch panel layout in the 46 accessory brochure. As point of fact I suspect that illustration is of the 42 dash because AC was not available postwar so there would not have been a COOLING switch in 46. The switch layout was a bit arbitrary and not all are identical depending on how the car was optioned. I believe the headlight & instrument switch, cigar lighter and map light were the only reasonably consistent positions. Except for the headlight switch due primarily to wire length out of the loom, the cigar lighter and map light due to the size of the holes, the other positions could be changed as desired.

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/1946_Accessories_Brochure.pdf

Posted on: 2016/8/24 12:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
Hello
Many Thanks for that. Howard

Posted on: 2016/8/24 14:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
Hi My Packard has tyres H78 x 15 sadly although there is loads of tread, i gave her a run out this evening and all of the tyres have flat spots it was a very lump ride. Does some one the modern equivalent size please.

Thanks Howard

Posted on: 2016/8/25 13:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
They use to say run them a while till they warm up good and the flat spots come out. Maybe not true anymore....

Posted on: 2016/8/25 19:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
The car has sat since 1997 so it a few years, do you think they would come out

Posted on: 2016/8/25 23:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have not had much luck getting the "square" out of long sitting tires and my version of long sitting is more like 2-3 years rather than your almost 20 years. Even though the tread on your tires looks almost pristine I would also be concerned about the condition of the rubber in tires so old and if under the good look sits deteriorated rubber about to fall apart.

The original size was 700-15 so based on this chart from Diamondback Tires, the closest modern equivalent in a radial would be the 215-75R15. Diamondback sells a modern radial tire which has the wide whitewalls so many want. If that is not a concern then there are other options. No idea what is available in the UK but modern size bias tires of 710-15 are available from Coker tire and several other US retailers. Some also have 710R15 radial tires which have the narrower bias tire look, some available in wide whitewalls, but are a true radial tire.

Some do not care for the relatively narrow tread on the original size tires and want a bit more rubber touching the road. A couple of things to consider if changing sizes appreciably from the original are the wheel wells and spare tire well will not accept a very wide tire and getting a tire too much different in diameter from the original size will affect the speedo reading.

Attach file:

jpg  (111.47 KB)
209_57c05441cf7e1.jpg 1170X558 px

Posted on: 2016/8/26 9:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
Hello Many thanks for the tyre info, I wnet out and bought 4 new tyres, I have also bought a SU fuel pump, ive used these before on vehicles and they work well. I have connected this to the ignition through a fuse. I took the car for a drive on the new rubber and boy what a difference. I have a little bit of noise from the speedo so i am go to take the cable off and give it an oil. Are let you all know how i get on over the weekend giving it a good run out.

Howard

Posted on: 2016/8/26 16:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
I have fitted some new tyres to my car 225 x 75 x 15. Could some one help with the correct tyre pressures please.

Thanks Howard

Posted on: 2016/8/27 5:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
In the FAQ section of DiamondBack's websitehttp://www.dbtires.com/airpressure.html they recommend a cold pressure of around 35psi (approx 2.41 bar) as a good point for most radials. There is a reminder that the number also depends on temperature, driving habit, preference etc.

Posted on: 2016/8/27 8:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
Thanks for that. Well i took the car out for a run and it went really well. I got the car up to 50 on the speedo, what is the correct cruising speed with out being silly. I dont have overdrive just 3 speed. What sort of RPM at 50mphnis the engine doing.
Thanks Howard

Posted on: 2016/8/30 15:17
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 22 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved