Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 150

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 12 13 ... 22 »

Re: 1941 Packard Clipper Eight Special Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
Thanks for the reply,I have to admit its not on the original temp gauge at the moment as water leaks from around the bulb in the head so i removed that and put in a gauge i had from an old jeep. I need to send my gauge off and get a new bulb fitted to the the gauge. when driving like i say is about 150 but idleing goes up to 180-200 I plan to recore the radiator so are take the pump off when the radiator is out and check the water tube. Thanks Howard

Posted on: 2016/9/20 0:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Another contributor to a hot running engine at idle is the distributor vacuum advance chamber. A leaking chamber can deal all kinds of problems. Check to see if it will hold vacuum. If not, replace.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2016/9/30 17:00
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
Hello JW

Thanks for that, I think I am going to remove the radiator and send it off for pressure test. I may get it recored. While thats away i can removed water pump and check the tube.

Thanks

Howard

Posted on: 2016/10/1 1:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
Could some one tell me on my radiator should I have a pressure cap fitted or a none pressure cap.Many Thanks Howard

Posted on: 2016/10/25 16:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Depending on engine it should have either a 4 1/2 lb or 7 lb cap. Since AC equipped cars had 12 lb caps you could even go that high on yours if conditions warranted. Just be sure the radiator, heater cores and hoses are in good condition if you opt for higher pressures.

If you change the cap, it needs a long reach type. The distance of the fill neck between the sealing rim inside the neck and top rim where the cap tightens is long on many cars of that era including Packards made prior to 1955. It can be hard to find caps with the extra length spring to rubber gasket surface that is needed for those radiators. The regular short neck modern cap usually found in todays stores will not reach the seal surface so radiator will never pressurize and coolant overflowing is the typical complaint.

Attach file:

jpg  (151.52 KB)
209_580fd4ff377f0.jpg 1920X939 px

Posted on: 2016/10/25 16:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Afternoon...Has anyone ever read what the range of operating temperature a Packard 8 was designed for. Since many seem to run up to 195 or 200 at long lights, it makes me wonder if 200 was considered normal for a Packard 8 working at long lights in the summer time. Miss Prudence, our 1949 288 will come up to 195 at a long light in the summer and then if allowed to run for a couple of miles without stopping, will drop back down to 150/160. Ernie

Posted on: 2016/10/25 17:26
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i am currently having CGJ radiators build me a custom aluminum, bit for bit, radiator that is a direct fit in my 1937. I sent them my old one and they worked with me on things I wanted to change and reproduce.

the pricing is pretty darn close to having a radiator re-cord.

maybe give them a shot. they also have brass...

http://www.cgj.com/store/category/packard-radiators/

Posted on: 2016/10/25 20:49
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
Hello
Many thanks for the info, although i thought the radiator was ok turns out there are a few small holes in top part and one in core so its coming out to be recored.

Many thanks

Howard.

Posted on: 2016/10/26 1:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
Well I have finally made a start on the restoration of the car. I have started to strip the car down. The bonnet mascot is a signet, does anybody know where i might get hold of a torpedo type mascot. I am putting the car into a USSAF staff car, as used during WW2. Thought a low mascot would be better. Thanks Howard

Posted on: 2017/2/13 17:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello from Detroit:

The "bonnet" mascot is neither a signet nor a cygnet. Rather it is a cormorant and it was the mascot used by none other than Gen. MacArthur on his personal 1942 Packard staff car.

Please see the scan below from the April 2017 edition of Hemmings Classic Car magazine. It has several other pages of details about the car. It would make good reference material for your project.

Click on the image to go from landscape to portrait and to zoom in.

--Roger--

Attach file:

jpg  (120.31 KB)
436_58a2376618576.jpg 1043X719 px

Posted on: 2017/2/13 17:47
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 12 13 ... 22 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved